iii.

Jayen

“I’m tired!” I said, tears welling up in my eyes. “I can’t do it, I need to take a break, please!”

“The plants wouldn’t give a damn if you’re tired! So shut up and move that plant!” He yelled back at me.

I couldn’t. I’d been trying for months but I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t bend the plants to my will. I tried and I tried but I couldn’t. Every time I’d fail I’d get yelled at by Mr. Widmen. We didn’t even know if I was Herbalist yet.

“I’m tired, my head hurts. My hand’s bleeding!” I cut my hand on a thorn earlier and it was still bleeding. It was a dull throbbing pain. 

He grabbed my arm and pulled me to my feet. He was holding my arm so tightly I thought it would break. “You’re useless!”

“Good morning Jayen!” Aoife was knocking on my door. “Kuna made us some fruit to take outside.”

I blinked several times to get used to the light pouring in through my window. My room was a dark green color and was fairly blank. I haven’t unpacked my bags yet. My bags were lying next to my wardrobe that already had two uniforms hang up.

I stretched and sat up in bed. I felt heavy with sleep still and wanted nothing more than to sink farther in my bed fall asleep again. I closed my eyes again.

“Jayen!”

“Yeah, yeah.” I sit up. My shirt is completely wrinkled and stretched a bit in the left sleeve. “Damn it.”

I spend a few minutes getting ready. Putting on a new shirt and a new pair of pants. The fabric feels cool on my skin. I opened up my window a bit more to get a breeze and a little more sunlight inside. I grab a piece of ribbon and tie it into my hair, I really didn’t feel like brushing my hair.

“Jayen! It’s been ten minutes.” Aoife knocks again.

I have never been a morning person. Not once.

“I’m coming.”

“You better be!”

I opened my door to see Aoife holding two cups of diced apples, orange slices, and pomegranate seeds. Her hair was tied in a low ponytail and her eyes shone in the morning light.

“I brought you your fruit so we can take it outside. It’s really nice out today.” She handed it to me and I gladly took it. The cup was cold and the fruit smelled sweet.

“What time did you wake up?” I asked her before putting an orange slice in my mouth. I missed oranges.

“An hour ago. I wanted to wake you up but Kuna said that wouldn’t end well for me.” 

We started walking down the hallway.

“Yeah, I’m not really into waking up.”

“Waking up early?”

“Waking up, period.”

Aoife laughed. I like her laugh. 

“Yeah, I get it. I really like waking up early though. I love the way the birds sing and the light hits the trees outside. I did some stretching already but if you want to join me later that would be fun.” Aoife looked at me. 

I looked straight ahead. “That does sound fun. Maybe I will join you. Just not that early.”

We left from the back door, I already finished my fruit cup but she was still working on hers. The second we walked outside the Forget-Me-Not started yelling at me.