xvi.

Jayen

When we reached Goon’s stall he was visibly upset. He was wiping down his counter in quick aggressive swipes. Goon is a large guy. He’s about two feet taller than me with muscles the size of my head. He says he’s short compared to most Embers though. I didn’t say anything until Goon looked up at me. His black hair hangs over his eyes like a curtain. His hair used to be cropped short the last time I saw him.

“Hey, Little Bird!” He had a thick Romin accent and spoke with harsh consonants and very quiet vowels.

“Hello Goon!” I gave a little wave.

He ran his hand through his hair, showing his deep red eyes. “What can I get for you? It’s been a while.” 

“I can’t believe you’re still working here. I was honestly worried that you’ve left.” I confessed, no longer carrying that the lady was waiting.

He said something in Romin that I didn’t catch.

“What was that?”

“You still don't speak Romin still?” Goon laughed. “Just as well. It was a bit uncalled for.”

I shook my head. “I need something to heal my hand.”

“Right, right. I’ve got four-oh-five and six-oh-two.” Goon pulled out two bottle from underneath the counter. One was filled with a cloudy blue liquid and the other with a bubbling red.

“Uh. Which is which?”

Lady Dupon placed a light but firm hand on my shoulder. “Which would heal her the fastest?” Her tone was cold and formal. 

A chill ran down my spine as if I’d just walked from a sunny warm field into a dark forest. It wasn’t an uneasy feeling though. I swallowed whatever was in my throat. My heart was racing. . . Why was it racing? I’m away from Jinan and I know Goon. Could it be. . .

“Jayen.”

I snapped out of my thoughts. Goon was looking at me expectantly.

“I’m sorry. . . I missed what you said.”

“I asked if you were ok. You looked a little pale, but eh, maybe it was in my head. I’m giving you the four-oh-five one.” Goon swirled the blue liquid. “Just be careful with it.”

The lady’s hand dropped from my shoulder. “How should she take it?”

Goon flicked the bottle. “Just drink the entire thing. It should take a day for the effects to be fully felt and go away. That includes the side effects.”

“Side effects?” I asked.

“Have you ever been sick with the flu and drunk at the same time?” He said.

“Um no?”

“That’s the side effect. You’re going to have to be on bedrest and maybe have someone watch you, like your girlfriend.” Goon nodded at the lady. “I never would’ve thought you’d go for a widow-.”

“No.” Lady Dupon stepped forward. “She’s my gardener. She works for me, we are not--How much for the bottle?” Her voice was even but there was something else underneath it. Was that defensiveness?

Goon shrugged and handed her the bottle. “Sorry, my bad. But please, be gentle with yourself Jayen. Have someone to sit with you until you’re better.”

“Will do, thank you Goon.”

Goon winked at me and went back to cleaning his counter. Lady Dupon expected the bottle, holding it like a fine bottle of wine before turning around. We walked back to the carriage using the main roads this time. Would Maj be able to take care of me? Is it worth being sick for an entire day? Or would Aoife help me? Maybe Kuna? I shook my head. One thing’s for certain, the lady would absolutely not help me. Not like I want her to or anything. . . because that would be too much.

“Jinan will take care of you.”

Are you kidding me?