xxviii.

Jinan

There was no way I’d lose.

Even if I did, the lady would never fire me. Not with what I know. If I lose, I’d go straight to the Emperor's Guard. If they ruin my life I’m going to ruin theirs. 

I used to have friends here. Like Mit and Kuna but then Lord Damon died, Jayen left, and I was fired. I don’t know how long she’s been lying about me and making up terrible stories but I do know she ruined my life. 

I had wandered from house to house to find work. The shortest time I had ever worked for anyone had been a few hours. One of the head workers had heard of me from Maj no doubt.

I had hit a gold mine with Lord and Lady Alarie. A married couple. . . a very unhappy married couple. He was very rude to her. In public she would bite back her tongue and step back but behind closed doors? She stood up to him, if that’s what you want to call it.

I had seen everything. Every time he tried to be close to her; to touch her. Everytime she would recoil and push him away if she could. When she saw us watching she would let him. . . I had also seen the way she thirsted after her maids. She was nothing but a lying freak, going after other women. I don’t know if they ever. . . did anything, though.

I had also been there for his fall.

His ‘accident’.

His murder.