1 | The First Sign

Tell me, what's the most ridiculous thing you've ever done in high school?

For me, it's not faking an injury or illness to get out of gym class, pulling the fire alarm, or breaking a window. It's something far worse than that.

I've invaded the teachers' office.

This might give me detention later on, but the situation calls for it. It's because I'm currently being pursued by my own best friend, Avery, who wants to play cupid between me and one of the popular boys in school. I don't want to go to the disastrous double date she has planned for us all so this is probably the best place to hide from her.

Only fifteen minutes have passed since I've crawled underneath a teacher's desk and sat here. Bored, I grab a jar from the food stash sitting on the pedestal, remove the lid and stuff a cookie into my mouth. It tastes pretty good.

I'm happily chomping away until a pair of leather Oxford shoes click across the floor and someone stops in front of my hiding spot.

Oh shucks.

So much for trying to stay hidden.

Miss Campbell, one of the coolest teachers I've ever known, stares at me in disbelief. Rocking in a black blazer, white shirt, and skinny pants, she crosses her arms and lifts one of her perfectly trimmed brows.

"Delia? What are you doing underneath my desk?"

I shoot her a grin. "Sorry, Miss Campbell. It's an emergency."

"Emergency?" She frowns. "Did you get into a fight again?"

Mind you, don't be mistaken by her words. I'm not a delinquent. I'm a very courteous and studious student who has attended some boxing classes. Sometimes—just sometimes—when I encounter a bunch of rude high schoolers who are trying to hit on my best friend by grabbing her butt, I let loose a little and teach them a lesson.

Let's just say that such moments rarely end well.

"It's nothing like that." I explain to the fuming teacher before me. "Avery is trying to get me into trouble, so I'm hiding out here until she stops looking for me."

Her shoulders shag in relief. "Thank goodness. But how did you get in here? How did you get past the other teachers?"

I shrug. "I've my ways."

"Seriously, Delia?" she sighs. "Nothing can stop you. If you weren't my baby cousin, I would have given you a week of detention right away for sneaking into our office."

We may have a ten years of age gap between us, but we're as close as actual sisters. As much as she loves to impose her authority over me as a teacher, I still get away with certain things.

Like this moment, for instance.

"But you won't, right?" I grin up at her. "You know how bad Mom frets over me whenever I get into trouble."

"Precisely. That's why you should stop acting like an eight-year-old kid when you're already seventeen. In fact, almost eighteen."

I scowl. "But there's no fun in that, is there? High school should be enjoyable. Not just having us burying our heads in books and dumping knowledge on us like we're some sort of landfill."

She shakes her head at me in defeat. "You always feel a need to talk back, don't you?"

"But Miss Campbell–"

"Sheesh, stop calling me that when we're alone. It feels as if you're mocking me."

"Well..." A knowing smile grows on my lips. "Who was the one who chastised me the last time when I called her by her first name? 'Whenever we're on the school property, I'm your teacher. Call me Miss Campbell, not Maddie–''"