42 | In Captive

No one moves until I raise my hands to surrender. Just as I take a step forward, this riles them up.

"Stay right there!"

My body freezes. I've never seen people this wary of me; eyes that are on high alert, distrustful and full of qualms about me.

I swallow my nerves. I can imagine what I look like in their eyes; wet hair plaster to my face, torn clothes and skin scattered in light bruises. My gunshot wound has mostly healed itself while I was in the water earlier, but I don't need to get a shot at again for the second time.

"Help, please." I beg. "I-I got swept out to the seas. I don't know where I am—"

"Keep your hands up."

Without even giving me a chance to explain, they tackle me to the ground, pushing my face into the prickly sand. A heavy weight presses down on my back. Soldiers pin my arms behind my back, securing my wrists with metal cuffs. They confiscate my dagger and flank me on all sides, keeping a close watch on me so that I don't make a run for it. They shove me in the back sharply with a rifle to get me moving.

Even though I'm captured, I'm not as afraid as I thought I would, because this time I'm not defenseless. But I have to figure out how to tap on my powers again.

We carry on walking for some time, leaving the shore and taking the stone steps of a cliff. At first glance, there doesn't seem to be anything until we find ourselves at the mouth of a small cave. We sidestep around the small boulders to reach the rear of the passage.

There's a steel door built into the wall—the entry into their hideout. A soldier steps forward to swipe his electronic wristlet on a small panel on the side and we clear the security check. After the door slides open with a grating sound, we step into a white tunnel with several cameras mounted on the ceilings. Red lights blink at us, and I know they're watching us as we make our way deeper into this place. An elevator awaits us at the end, and a soldier punches a button—B5.

We're descending. The ride feels pretty long as we go past several floors, but it gives me the chance to scrutinize everything. Seven abductors—all who look pretty intimidating in size, not to mention they're heavily armed. Each time I connect with someone's gaze, they glower at me. It's best not to mess around with them first.

At last, the elevator opens up to a laboratory bustling with scientists in white lab coats. They are analyzing liquid specimens and don't seem perturbed by our appearance. People in hazmat suits exit containments. A large digital symbol plays brightly on a glass wall like a welcome sign—World Solutions. The renown company that's known for bringing in new inventions.

We head past a large screen and I stop to gawk at it, watching a live feed of the places on the other floors; civilians hanging out in groups, just chatting and laughing. Greenery fills up the space, a minimalist blend against the white tiles and walls. The interior has replicated something akin to a luxurious hostel. Apart from humans, robots roam the place too.

I'm gobsmacked by the size of the underground city and how technologically advanced everything looks on the inside. This could be a haven from the apocalypse. A second chance at life.

Except that I'm getting an ominous feeling about this floor I'm currently on.

Someone shoves me forward. "Keep moving."

With a short grunt, I shuffle forward, wincing at a bruise that's forming in the small of my back when they had pushed me earlier.

"So, where are you taking me to?"

"Quiet. No questions allowed."

They bring me into a small room with stark white walls, a bed and a toilet–a prison cell. I turn around just as someone grabs my arm and plunges a needle into my vein. "Hey!"