25 | A Campfire

As dawn approaches, the campfire that we've built burns brightly, sending sparks into the sky. The evergreen foliage around us coats in an earthly dew that glitters like small diamonds under the light. The calmness that this place exudes speaks nothing about the horror that has descended upon us days ago.

Last night, Zarius and I had talked for hours until I dozed off. After I woke up, we resumed our chatter. I learn more about his home. His race.

His world seems even more ethereal than what they depicted in the children's books. He spoke about an underwater kingdom called Arsythrae with sea horse carriages. He told me about coral reefs that grow on structures and glow like city lights. But this happened before the sea creatures mutated and they fortified the barrier to protect the merfolks and the remaining unaffected sea animals.

I wonder if I'll ever get the chance to step into Arsythrae.

Right. I can't swim.

After we get out of the RV, Zarius eases into relief. He must have felt pretty claustrophobic there, but I didn't hear a single word of complaint. I appreciate the fact that he's being considerate to me.

Now, there's another problem. He shifts uneasily in his seat—one of those bright orange, foldable camping chairs I've found and offered him. It's flimsy and barely holds his weight, but I don't wish to be the only one sitting comfortably.

I watch him in silent amusement. His brows pinched together to form a small, cute frown that is sticking on me. Seeing him all flustered and trying to mimic my actions are my jolly moments now.

I'm really trying my best not to laugh, but when he accidentally breaks one of the legs, I'm a goner.

As I laugh, Zarius scoffs at the broken chair. He ditches it and sits on the ground instead, clearing his throat. My whole body shakes in laughter and I slip off my seat. Oops, instant karma.

A chuckle catches in my throat as I crawl back into my chair. "Sorry, sorry." I wave my hand between us and try to regain my composure. I don't miss the sheepish smile that tugs at a corner of his alluring lips. Lips that are mouthwatering to stare at. "You were saying something about a school? A training academy?"

He nods. "When I was younger, we attended lessons, and the elders taught us. We learned how to control our abilities and morph. Land adaptability is something we have to learn as well. We do not just enjoy being in the waters. Islands and forests are a part of nature, so we find peace being there. And of course, it would be much wiser to learn about humans and their ways, just in case we encounter troubles with them again."

"Wow." I'm fascinated by every detail he shares. "It kind of sounds like us humans. Even if we don't have wings like birds do, some of us love to do flying activities like paragliding."

He's getting better at enunciating human terms. "Para...gliding?"

"It's an activity some humans like to do," I explain, "especially those who enjoy thrills and don't have any fear of heights. Imagine attaching a pair of wings to a person's back. They take off at a certain height and fly through the air. It's a sport."

He scratches the side of his forehead, puzzled. "About this paragliding that humans do... Do they not fall to their death? Or crash into cliffs and mountains?"

"Nah, there will always be some professional help in this. Like a guide or a teacher. Unless some idiots think they don't need them."

Zarius takes his time to process my words. He stares down at the mini monocular that I've found in the RV last night and given to him. While I was asleep, he had taken the time to watch the moon and stars instead. He's fascinated by it so much that he keeps it with him at all times, like it's his prized possession. "Humans and their odd creations."