27 | Found

Apparently, it takes another ten minutes to convince Zarius to get into the RV because 1) he doesn't trust my driving skills and 2) he thinks we can get to our destination quicker on foot because I don't look like I know where we're heading towards. Not that he's wrong.

Now, he comes back with another question.

"What's a 'hottie'?"

I swerve to the side, narrowly missing a fire hydrant on the side of the street. "What did you just say?"

"A hottie," he repeats, grimacing when the RV runs over something and his head bumps against the roof. Not just once, but several times. Oops. "You keep calling me either that or 'hot'. What are they?"

"About that..."

Words die on my tongue while my befuddled brain tries to come up with something creative. I can't tell him straight in the face that I find him sexually attractive. My pride won't allow that.

"It's a human way of describing someone that they're very warm-hearted," I explain with an awkward laugh. "Right! Even though you're a merfolk, you, Zarius, are a very warm-hearted person. Way better than some humans out there."

He tilts his head at me, his lips curving into a hint of a smile. "Is that really your impression of me?"

"I'm telling the truth! At first, I thought you were scary but now, I know better. It's true when people always say never to judge a book by its cover—"

Half-staring at him, I don't realize that the RV is edging off the road, but Zarius grabs the steering wheel to steady it. Has he already figured out how to drive this?

"Keep your eyes on the pathway, please," he tells me. "Do not crash us into a tree."

The vehicle rattles so violently that I can hear things falling behind me. "For my first passenger, you're unbelievably calm," I say in a bubbly tone. "If it were others, they might have already jumped out and puked all over themselves."

Amusement flickers across his face. "I'm moments away from tearing this...crate apart. It is my fault when I brought you here. It didn't occur to me before that not all humans can navigate this human invention."

"Hey! Are you insulting me? My driving skills are commendable, considering that I'm a novice!"

"If you say so."

I huff in protest, but I'm actually biting back a smile. "Why don't you drive instead? Show me how it's done then."

His smile broadens, his expression relaxed. Clearly, he's enjoying our petty squabble. "Let me propose something else — I will steer this wheel while you keep your foot on...whatever that Human-Thing is...to keep us moving."

"This Human-Thing is a pedal," I correct him. "I can't believe you've trust issues with me after everything we've been through. Fine! Show me what you can do, Big Guy."

I keep my hands on the steering wheel, but allow Zarius to have complete control over it while I give him directions to my school. He looks almost excited, like a teen who was just given a new car by his parents for his birthday.

And it blows my mind how he's actually driving us safely through town, being extra careful to avoid the debris and fallen trees on the road. He's already better at this than I am. But then again, boys will be boys. Most guys I used to know play racing cars and RPG games. They just enjoy the thrill and being in control.

The RV suddenly swerves to the side and Zarius exclaims loudly.

"Delia, stop!"

The way his voice panics rattle me. I slam my foot on the brake pedal and the RV stops before we almost hit a high wooden fence in the backyard of somebody's home.