38 | Finding Strength

None of us can catch a wink during the night. When morning arrives and the creatures quiet down, Zarius and I head off to inspect the damage that's done to the school.

The rest of our group remains behind. The lines of exhaustion under their eyes are growing thicker as the days pass, especially after last night's attack. They are passed out on the floor, sleeping out in the open. The wind is less chilly now as the sun rises in the sky, partially obscured by patches of white clouds.

Zarius wants me to stay with the group, but I insist on going. Death has always been a part of life, but even more so now with the apocalypse. Even if the bodies crumble to ashes and return to earth, I realize that death itself is not the greatest loss in life. When the hope inside us dies out, that's when we truly lose to the creatures.

And that's what pushes me to go forward.

Eventually, Zarius agrees, but only if I stay behind him. Walking down the stairs, my hand reaches for his, lacing my fingers through his and giving them a squeeze. Although he has a destined mate, he likes me and so do I. Deep down in my heart, a part of me knows that he's going to leave me someday, but before that happens, I'll take whatever time I'm left with him.

He pauses in his steps. "Are you certain about this, Delia?"

I square my shoulders with a determined nod. "Let's go."

We push against the doors, and what we find in the cafeteria is appalling; the result of a bloodbath. The creatures have dispersed and gone into hiding, leaving behind bodies that are severely mangled.

We work through them quickly, hoping to find someone with a pulse. It's difficult to identify the bodies, since their faces are beyond recognition. As we search the other floors, it gets even more depressing when we realize there's no one alive.

The heavy feeling intensifies in my chest. It's hard to look at these people, knowing that I used to roam the hallways with them. Talk to them. Laugh with them.

Now, I can't help but wonder to myself if my death might come knocking on my door similarly; by getting killed by the creatures in such a gruesome way. I don't want it to happen to me. No one does.

I'm scared, but that only fuels my determination to find a solution around this. For Maddie, Mia and Jace.

And Zarius.

My hand tightens around him instinctively. He glances down at me, wearing a concerned frown. I must have looked incredibly upset, because he doesn't say a word and quickly steers me back to the stairs.

Halfway back to the rooftop, we bump into my teacher–Mr. Daniels. He's oblivious to our presence, ambling his way down a corridor slowly. I thought for sure he was catching a nap earlier, so what on earth is he doing down here?

There's something awfully strange about him, especially the way he staggers and drags his feet around. Zarius and I exchange a curious look before chasing after Mr. Daniels quickly, realizing that he has disappeared into one of the classrooms.

The door is half shut. I pull it open to find him sitting behind a teacher's desk, resting his head against the cushion headrest. His eyes are squeezed shut as the lines across his forehead twitch in pain.

I gasp at his condition. He doesn't look good. His face looks extremely pale, and he's breaking out in a cold sweat. "Mr. Daniels?"

He cracks an eye open as I approach him. His voice croaks with effort. "Oh, Ms. Walters. It's you."

"Sir." Disquiet creeps into my tone. "What happened to you?"

Mr. Daniels exhales heavily, knowing he can't hide it anymore. "Nothing good."