40 | Mates

His words make goosebumps rupture all over my body and my stomach flutters crazily that I can barely breathe.

If I die today, it's because of Zarius's confession and not because we're on the run from the soldiers.

Realization hits me. The song that he sang that night might not have just comforted me, but performed magic as well. "The mark on the back of your neck... It appeared that night?"

When he nods, I smack my forehead, now knowing how foolish I've been. "I-I thought you had it all along, that maybe you found your mate before I met you."

He returns a small smile. "My hints... Are they not obvious enough?"

Maybe they are, but with the creatures chasing after us, I haven't had the time to focus on us. "You can't blame me for realizing this late," I counter, my cheeks getting flamed. "After all, you're the one who has lived for seventy-two years. And that's a lot of time to spare for dating."

"Dating?"

"Courting. It means courting," I mumble, still mortified beyond words. "Why didn't you tell me at the beginning?"

He tucks a lock of wild hair behind my ear, brushing his knuckles across my cheeks. "I wasn't certain how you would react. You were struggling to accept your merfolk blood and abilities, and that's why I was afraid you would reject our mating bond if I told you early. I've seen some mates rejecting each other, and they suffered from the separation symptoms. It drove them insane. Once the mark appears, mates bond for life, until death separates them."

So Zarius has been so overprotective of me and has stayed by my side all the time, because we're more than just allies. Fate has us meet as mates, and the bond we share is one of a kind.

But our bond doesn't equate to love, yet. After all, love is a big word, one that I'm not ready for.

However, it doesn't change the fact that I'm very much infatuated with him.

"You were grieving for those who are dead. I was waiting for the right time. But you–" He steps closer to me. We're just a breath apart, his cerulean blue eyes drawing me in like a magnet. "You made it really hard for me to fight the attraction."

"Well, you aren't the only one having it difficult."

That earns me a humorous smile. "I can see that."

Lifting his chin, he squints at something behind me. His stance has gone all rigid and defensive. "Delia, what are those objects behind you?"

I turn around, baffled by his tone, until I see several black drones hovering in the surrounding air.

And they have their lasers pointed at us.

This doesn't look good.

"Zarius!" I scream and reach for him, just as he darts forward and tackles me to the ground. Shielding me. Something hits him and he falls forward, knees digging into the sand first. A thin, silver needle sticks out of the back of his neck. "Zarius?"

He can barely hear me. They have injected some kind of serum into him and whatever it does, he's fighting against it. His body trembles, his bluish veins popping as his eyes waver in and out of focus.

"Zarius!" I shake his shoulders, feeling the panic rising in me. "Are you alright?! What do I do—"

A swarm of heavy footsteps close in around us, rifles pointing in our direction; soldiers wearing special black vests and heavy gears. Three pairs of powerful arms drag me backwards and away from Zarius, forcing distance between us. No matter how much I struggle, I'm no match for their strength.