15 | History

I thought I couldn't get any more embarrassed than this.

But it turns out I was wrong.

After Zarius leaves me on my own devices, I peel off my filthy clothes and underwear. I sniff at my frizzy hair, realizing that I stink like I've been spending days in a rubbish dump. The thought of Zarius standing close to me earlier and knowing how bad my body stench is has me wincing in mortification.

I grab the shampoo and lavender-scented soap bottles to lather myself clean. This is the first bath I'm getting in days, so I take the time to drench myself. Grabbing a bath sponge that's hanging on the wall, I rub the grime off my skin until it's red and clean.

My mind wanders while I lie in the tub. Frustration surges within me as I realize how weak I am. I haven't even found Mom yet. It hurts to know that I can't go to her when the creatures keep getting in my way one after another. And most of the time, I barely make it out alive.

Something wet rains down my cheeks. When my hand reaches to touch my right cheek, my fingers come away with tears.

Shucks.

I really hate this. Everything.

I sit in the bathtub, crying for at least an hour. It's only when my stomach rumbles with hunger do I realize I can no longer deny my body's needs, even if I don't feel like eating. I pick myself up again, willing myself to be stronger. But before I can step out of the tub, a curse spurts from my lips.

I don't have any fresh clothes.

I give a loud groan, running a hand through my hair in annoyance. Thankfully, there's a shower curtain hanging in the bathroom and I pull it off hastily to wrap around my trembling body. In the mirror, I'm surprised to see that my wounds are almost healed in the brief span of time. My skin is smoothing out into what it used to look like.

Zarius was right about the water.

Once I've the shower curtain tucked securely around me to salvage my modesty, I open the door and peek my head out.

Zarius is nowhere to be seen in the bedroom, and it has me wondering if he's still wandering about the house or has he decided to abandon me? But then again, it isn't like I was expecting him to wait outside. In fact, I'm sure glad he didn't. Especially in this miserable state I'm in.

I tip toe out and make my way over to the wardrobe. Inside, I find several male clothes that are two sizes bigger than me. I pull out a thick sweatshirt, a boxer and long pants that have me rolling the cuffs at the end and putting on a belt to stop them from falling.

Whatever. As long as they fit me, I'm content.

Now that I'm dressed in warm clothes, I squeeze the water out of my hair and dry it with a clean towel. Next, I need a weapon and the first place I think of is the owner's nightstand. He should have kept one right by his side just in case a robber breaks into the house in the middle of the night.

Just as I expect, I find a gun.

My exhaustion wins over hunger. I can barely keep my eyes open as I switch on the lights in the room and hallway, hoping to keep the monsters away. Trudging towards the bed, I dive for the warm, comfy bed in the room and pull the sheets up to my chest. I tuck the gun under the pillow before allowing sleep to tug me away like a baby.

***

Hours later, I wake up and slip right back to reality. My hairs prick on the back of my neck. My instinct immediately alerts me I'm not alone.

Someone is in the room with me.

I sit up so quickly that I almost fall off the bed. I blink my bleary eyes at the tall silhouette standing in the corner and staring at something on the wall. "Z-Zarius?"