Year 2: 11

A/n; *cough* William *cough*

__________

[Ron and Hermione usher Harry inside. Harry glances up, sees Ginny Weasley staring down at him from the top of the stairs. As their eyes meet, she turns for the girls' dormitory.]

Ron: You're a Parselmouth! Why didn't you tell us?

Harry: I'm a what?

"You are worse than me Harry." James chucked as Lily swatted his arm. 

Hermione: You can talk to snakes.

Harry: I know. I mean, I accidentally set a python on my cousin Dudley at the zoo once. But so what? I bet loads of people here can do it.

Dudley shuddered remembering the incident. Vernon and Petunia glared at Harry.  But Petunia quickly turned away as she caught her sister's eye. 

Hermione: No. They can't. It's not a very common gift, Harry. This is bad.

Harry: What's bad? If I hadn't told that snake not to attack Justin --

Kids who thought otherwise looked away in guilt.

Ron: Oh, that's what you said to it.

Harry: You were there! You heard me!

"They don't understand snake language, Harry." Said Lily.

Ron: I heard you speaking Parseltongue. Snake language.

Harry: I spoke a different language? But I didn't realize -- how can I speak a language without knowing I can?

Hermione: I don't know, Harry. But it sounded like you were egging the snake on or something. It was...creepy.

"Okay, I agree. It is kinda creepy when you hear it like that." Harry shrugged.

[As Gryffindors stream into the room, they eye Harry warily. Even Seamus, Neville, and Dean Thomas walk by without a word]

Hermione: Harry, listen out me. There's a reason the symbol of Slytherin house is a serpent. Salazar Slytherin was a Parselmouth. He could talk to snakes too.

Ron: Exactly. And now the whole school's going to think you're his great-great-great grandson or something.

"I don't think Potters are related to Salazar Slytherin." Said James.

"And I don't think you would know even we are related to Slytherin." Julianne smirked.

"Ouch, sis." James clutched his heart.

"Your heart's in the other side, genius." Lily pointed.

"He should have a brain to understand that, Lils." Julianne teased.

"My own sister and wife against me. Save me my dearest friends." James turned to Sirius and Remus.

"We'd like to live a little longer, Prongs." Said Remus as Sirius nodded.

Harry: But I'm not. I... can't be.

Hermione: He lived a thousand years ago. For all we know... you could be.

[A heavy snow falls. Harry sits atop one of the towering hills facing Hogwarts. Hedwig sits beside him.]

Harry: Who am I, Hedwig? What am I?