The Unknown Nephew

"Leanne had your son?" I asked. My voice was monotone. I knew my sister was pregnant. It was a memory that I tried to suppress in the back of my mind. A part of me hoped her child was one that she had with her many flings. The last bit of hope I had finally shattered. It didn't matter how many years had passed, the heartbreak was still just as fresh. "Let me get this straight. You had your soulmate's sister's child?" Masking my pain, I couldn't help but let the sarcasm drip from my voice.

"Yes," Jake huffed as he banged his head against the elevator wall.

"Wow. Some soulmate you are." I spat out with disgust.

Shit. I closed my eyes. There was far too much emotion for a stranger. The cracks in my mask were getting bigger as each second pass. My wolf was resisting. The longer she was with Jacob, the stronger she became. My internally crafted barriers were slowly crumbling to dust as my mind flickered to memories of the past.

At the dinner table, Jacob and Leanne sat entwined, leaning into each other. My parents gushing and praising at the beautiful couple in front of them. The tips of Jacob's fingers, plucking food from his plate into Leannes mouth. Her lips slowly sucking his fingers. Jacob's eyes would flash to mine, a smirk plastered on his lips. While Leanne would occasionally throw a look of disgust in my direction. Both Leanne and Jacob would stare at each other with a heated gaze.

Even then, I felt like an outsider in my family. Rejected by mate, ignored by my parents. Never once did they pass a glance in my direction. Ma and pa, were in awe as they stared at Leanne with happiness. My heart twisted in pain, anger and jealously. In that moment, I believed nothing could get worse, only for them to announce that Leanne was pregnant. Pa jumped up with joy and delight. It thrilled Ma that her grandson would be the heir to the pack. Leanne had given my parents everything they wanted, all at the cost of my sacrifice. I didn't have the energy to argue or defend myself anymore, especially as my wolf crumbled into the back of my mind.

Jake had no reply to what I had said. He just sat there in silence. Sweat was beading on his head as the temperature of the elevator increased from our body heat. When he spoke of his son, he didn't sound happy. He must be about seven years of age now. I wonder if he looks like him or if he looks like my sister.

The irrational thoughts of harming my sister dominated my mind. The wolf wanted to murder her and the child. As much as my sister had harmed me in every way imaginable, I couldn't bring myself to hurt her. Over the years, I wondered what the child would become? I imagined myself sharing a pup with Jacob, only to shake my head. It was too late. The only questions I would have were what type of person my nephew or niece would become. I tried to steer clear of that rabbit hole and, for the first time in many years, curiosity overcame my desire for self-preservation.

"So what happened after you had your soulmate's sister's baby?" I asked. I didn't dare use her name, caused bile to rise in my throat.

"She had my son. He had my eyes and the beauty of my soulmate, making him stunningly beautiful. My son was everything I imagined my child to look like. He looked so much like Louise." Jacob croaked out.

"What do you mean? I thought you said it was Leanne's baby?" I asked.

He chuckled. "Yes, but Leanne was Louise's twin."

I whistled. "Wow, you really did screw up."

"You, you have no idea." He groaned.

I tapped my fingertips on the wooden floor again, thinking about what to ask next. What do I ask the man who destroyed my life?

"What's your son's name?" I asked. For the first time wanting to know about the little nephew I would never want to meet.

"Louis," He replied with a whisper.

Rage bubbled up inside me, and my heart pounded in my chest at the sheer audacity of him, naming his child after me and my loathsome sister. Their actions were so cruel, it left me wondering how they could do such a thing.

"Bit of a shitty thing to do, Mr Warner." I said.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"Naming your son after your soulmate. I mean, it's betrayal at its finest. Belong to one sister, knock the other one up, break the soulmate, but name the son after her?" I retorted.

I could see the gears turning in his head as he looked at me, trying to make sense of what he was seeing. He seemed surprised by her brutal honesty when she confronted him about his mistakes. Despite being an Alpha, his followers never questioned him, but I was different, taunting and challenging him every step of the way.

"I suppose you're right. I am cruel to do that." He sighed as he closed his eyes again. I doubt he has the courage to meet my gaze and deal with my wrath. In his eyes, I'm just a judgmental woman who doesn't understand him or his actions. It's a shame, he didn't realise my true identity.

"How old is your son?" I asked.

"He would have been seven this June." He replied as another small tear escaped his eye. His words hit me like a ton of bricks, and my heart thumped in response.

"Would have?" I whispered, as I tilted my head.

"My son is dead." His voice was cold and hardened. 

Edited 08/08/2023