Be Careful What You Wish For

My son is dead.

His words resounded in my thoughts, like an incessant bell tolling in my head. My sister's son has passed away, leaving a void in my rejected mate's life. My nephew is dead. After many years, I experienced a moment of vulnerability as a small tear dripped from my eye. His words had a profound effect on me, causing me to break down, even though I was a cold and heartless person. Regardless of the extent of my loathing towards them and my absolute disdain for my mate and sister's choice to procreate, I was not in favor of this happening. I wasn't cruel to wish death on a child. I may have cursed and hated that child, but I never wanted him to die.

It's funny how for years I wished they would get what they deserved, but did they deserve a dead child? Did anyone? My heart was pounding and I could feel my need to take excessive breaths, but I couldn't. I couldn't reveal who I was. What would I say? I remember the last time I saw him.

There, in a clearing of the pack gardens which were blooming with flowers, stood a broken and lonely girl who only desired the smallest ounce of love. Tears streamed down my face, reflecting the shimmering moon and stars. Lifelessly staring at the sky, begging for some divine intervention, a small bit of relief from the pain that was given to me. The questions bombarded my head. Why? Why was I paired with a man that despised me? What had I done to earn the hate from my pack? No matter how much I questioned and beg, it met me with an empty silence. The only sound was the rustling of leaves. My wolf was slowly being reduced to nothing. The whimpers soon disappeared.

The entire world had abandoned me. A part of me wondered if I was being over-dramatic. However, when images of my sister's swelling stomach dominated my mind, it was then that I realised it was the last nail in the coffin for my wolf. I searched my mind for her, only to come back empty-handed. A sinister chuckle had escaped my mouth as my pleas to my wolf were all but ignored. It was then that the famous saying 'be careful what you wish for' filled my head. I felt nothing but emptiness. The wolf, who I begged to be silent, finally stopped talking. The mate who I wished to have nothing to do with was no longer mine through a bond. I felt nothing but cold and empty. A part of my soul drowned in the happiness of my mate and sister.

A crack of a twig snapped me out of my mind. The musky smell of his scent lingered in my nostrils. Even though my wolf wasn't present, his masculine scent was still just as enticing. Although he didn't speak a word of comfort, the radiation of heat coming from his body offered a temporary salve that I engulfed myself in. I don't remember how long he stood there. It could have been hours or minutes. Time seemed to stand-still. I wondered if he felt my wolf disappear. A small part of me hoped he was here to help me, to save her. .

"You know, you're not needed here anymore." He venomously spat. His words crushing the last slither of hope that bubbled within me.

I wanted to reply, but the words were lodged in my throat. I felt my lips move, but not a sound escaped me. There was a part of me wanted to refute his claims, but I couldn't. Every word that Jacob said was nothing but the truth. It didn't matter if I accused my sister, it would only fall on death ears. I had spent years trying to tell them the truth, but they never believed me. Leanne's lies were so tightly woven that it was too deep for me to untangle.

"You know, that could have been you. Carrying our pup." He darkly chuckled. "But you are too much of a heartless bitch to be a mother. You're too big of a slut to be a Luna. Who would want you as a role model? You would ruin this pack." He spat.

The news of his pregnancy with my sister killed my wolf, but those were the words that broke me. My heart crumbled in front of me. I could almost see the dust of my broken heart dance in the wind. Although my heart died at that moment, something grew in its place. A sense of resolution bloomed. There was no reason for me to stay and continue to be harmed by people that did not deserve my loyalty.

A sister that hated me, despite how much I loved and protected her.

Parents that only looked at me in shame and disgust, despite how much I idolised and adored them.

A Pack that didn't respect or value me, despite how much time I spent caring for them.

Finally, a mate that didn't protect, cherish, or love me, despite how much I loved him and wanted his happiness.

Without passing Jacob a glance, I simply whispered the words, "I know."

Jacob didn't need to tell me to leave. I knew it was what was best for the pack, the family, and Jacob. Even Leanne. Even if she hated me, I loved her like no other. All I wanted was for her to be happy, even at my expense. It was why I protected her, but she abused that love and trust. She destroyed my life at the cost of her happiness. My love for these people, were my weakness. I looked up at the shining moon in the sky and swore to the moon goddess I would never love again.

That night, I left everything behind.

As I look at Jacob withering in pain, tears running down his cheeks. There was no regret for the decisions I made. His was one of the final pushes I needed to become who I was destined to be.

Loretta Romano.

Edited 08/08/2023