Chapter 14

The last week of term became increasingly boisterous as it progressed. Rumors about the Yule Ball were flying everywhere, though Stella didn't believe half of them — for instance, that Dumbledore had bought eight hundred barrels of mulled mead from Madam Rosmerta. (She eventually went to his office to ask him personally and he laughed wholeheartedly). It seemed to be a fact, however, that he had booked the Weird Sisters, and Stella soon found out that they were a very famous musical group.

Some of the teachers, like little Professor Flitwick, gave up trying to teach them much when their minds were so clearly elsewhere; he allowed them to play games in his lesson on Wednesday, and spent most of it talking to Harry about the perfect Summoning Charm during the first task.

Other teachers were not so generous. Nothing would ever deflect Professor Binns, for example, from plowing on through his notes on goblin rebellions — as Binns hadn't let his own death stand in the way of continuing to teach, they supposed a small thing like Christmas wasn't going to put him off. It was amazing how he could make even bloody and vicious goblin riots sound so boring.

Professor McGonagall kept them working until the very last second of their classes too, and Snape, of course, would no sooner let them play games in class than adopt Neville. Staring nastily around at them all, he informed them that he would be testing them on poison antidotes during the last lesson of the term. He just wouldn't let them go.

"Evil, he is," Leigh said bitterly that night in the Slytherin common room. "Springing a test on us on the last day. Ruining the last bit of term with a whole load of studying."

"Mmm . . . you're not exactly straining yourself, though, are you?" said Lizzie, looking at her over the top of her Potions notes.  

"It's Christmas, Lizzie," said Pansy lazily; she was rereading ''Flying with the Cannons" for the tenth time in an armchair near the fire.

Lizzie looked severely over at him too. "I'd have thought you'd be doing something constructive, Pansy, even if you don't want to learn your antidotes!"

"Like what?"

"I don't know... something!"

"She is losing it," Stella mumbled and took a book away from Lizzie.

"Hey!" She protested but Stella just shook her head, "No, you need a break. Let's go for a walk."

"I don't have time-"

"You are going mental!" Stella said and put the book away, "You are coming with me like it or not," with that being said she picked her friend by her legs and threw her over her shoulder. Lizzie yelled and her friends just waved at her happily. "I HATE YOU ALL!"

 When they were out in the corridor Stella put her down and they started walking.

"You need to take some time off and relax."

"I don't have time to relax," Lizzie answered.

"Yes, you do, I can always help you with studying if you need it, but I think you just need to stop worrying about everyone else and take some time for yourself."

"If I don't keep you all in line no one else will!" Lizzie said and Stella laughed.

"We don't need a mom, we need our dear friend to be fine."

"I'd make a good mom," Lizzie whispered and Stella nodded.

"The best!" she smiled, "You remind me of my mom a little, I know you would be great friends, you would like her more than me."

"Oh, I don't think that's possible," Lizzie grinned, "there's no one I love more."

"Stop it," Stella slapped her arm and she laughed.