CHAPTER 39

IRIS

Crey throws me, and I end up rolling on the ground. I inhaled deeply to catch more air. He had almost killed me. I couldn't walk or stand now because all of my energy was drained from my body. I did my best to crawl away from him. I tried to turn my head around and asked myself, What happened? I felt fragile.

I glanced back at Crey, and to my horror, I saw him kneeling meters away from me with a hole in his stomach and smoke coming out of it. I covered my mouth with my palm as he tried to stand up. He took two steps forward and then collapsed to the ground.

Hector stood behind him with smoke emanating from his arms. He was gasping and struggling to stand straight. 

From the back of my mind, we killed Crey. This war would end now.

I gave all my remaining strength to stand up and walk toward him. Every part of my body throbbed from various pains, yet I didn't want them to rule inside me. When I reached him, I curled my arms around his waist, and we were both crying from mixed emotions.

"We did it, Hector!" I exclaimed.

We heard heavy footsteps coming towards us. Hector carried me in his cradle, even though he staggered and struggled because of the wound he sustained on his neck. He still managed to take me away from the place. We went to the ruined classroom and took cover behind a dilapidated wall.

We peeked into a small hole and saw three Alpha-Draconian emerge from the rubble and walk towards Crey. 

Crey raised his left hand while struggling to breathe. "H... help!"

His soldiers just stood and watched him. He was on the verge of dying.

"Look what we got here. We can't believe that your life will end just like this," one of his soldiers said.

"This is what ambition has paid you, scum!" said the other.

I could understand them, and from the way they talked to Crey, there was so much hatred. But what could I expect? They were monsters.

"We will never give you the respect you deserve. From all the worst things you've given us, you're still a sh*t in our eyes," one of Crey's soldiers said. 

One of Crey's soldiers raised his arms, and a weapon manifested. Hector and I glanced at each other without saying any words.

"You are good for nothing, Krax-X." Again, I covered my mouth with my palm as a loud zap echoed from the weapon.

The monster soldier shot Crey directly. His head burst like a balloon with a horrible sound I could not describe.

"Let's get out of here. We lost, and those motherf*ckers won now," the monster said.

They all ran away and left Crey's dead body still wriggling on the ground until it stopped moving. When the monster left, it was the only time I felt safe.

I hugged Hector again. "Thank you for saving me."

He couldn't speak, and I felt sorry for him. His neck still had smoke rising from it. Electrical charges were coming out too, and he smelled like burned cable. His teammate, who rode in a robot, emerged from our spot and carried us back to the plaza. He said he had kept tracking us, and we thanked him for it.

The war is over, and the Alien Convention forces have won. My family is safe now, including Albert, my friends, and all the people of Poblacion. They gathered in the plaza to celebrate, and Hector and I joined them. Chamie told me that the forces had pulverized ninety-nine percent of the enemy's side. Still, some escaped, like those three monsters who killed Crey a while ago.