16. Sebastian

"Which is why I believe Harry Potter is just the more superior movie franchise," Genevieve shrugs. "Are you even listening to me?" She sighs.

I blink and lean my head back on her headboard "I zoned out the second you wanted to compare Dobby's character from the book to the movie."

She groans and throws a pillow at me, I easily catch it and she flips me off "you were supposed to listen to my Ted Talk," she groans and my lips turn upward.

"I half-assed listened to your Ted Talk Cindy," I shrug as she moves to her desk clearing it a bit before standing on the side of her bed and crossing her arms. "Okay," I sigh, "I'm sorry," I joke and she huffs.

"Okay!" I let out a small laugh reaching forward and uncrossing her arms. "Write me an essay and I'll read it," I say tugging her onto the bed, she slides with ease and lands on my lap.

"Seriously?" She asks and I nod. "No, I am not writing more essays than I have to. What if I voice record it and you listen to it as a podcast?"

"Fine by me," I shrug. Genevieve smiles and I watch her reach up and push back my hair.

"You should smile more," She tells me, our eyes locking.

"The Grinch doesn't smile."

"You do around me," she responds. You make my cold heart grow a tiny bit is what I want to say but I hold my tongue,

"It's your laugh, it's contagious."

"Kids in my elementary school used to hate it," she mumbles looping her arms around my neck, I wrap mine around her back and pull her closer. The position feels foreign, I'm a one-night-stand guy, no cuddling and I always make sure I'm out the door once she's fallen asleep. I don't know what Genevieve and I are doing, we never made anything official but we haven't done much but making out, late-night calls, or what we're doing right now.

I don't know where her head is at for everything regarding us but neither of us should be focusing on anything official, we're both broken, and despite what people say two broken people hardly make a fully healed person.

"That's fucked up," I respond, she shrugs.

"I was bullied a bit at my school before I moved in with my grandparents," she confesses and I narrow my eyes.

"What the fuck?" I mumble and she sighs.

"People said I was weird, loud, and quirky. I was basically the poster child for happiness and I guess kids hated that," she says looking away from me. I release an arm from around her and gently force her to look back at me.

"I like your little quirks, never change Cindy," I tell her and she gives me a smile but I depict it as a more sad smile than a happy one.

"I used to think you hated my happiness."

"Fucking wrong," I assure her. No one could ever hate her happiness, she fucking radiates it and she lights any room.

"What about you?" She asks changing the subject. "Were you still a brooding, grouchy kid?" She asks, I squeeze her hip.

"I guess, not many kids wanted to hang out with me besides Spencer of fucking course," I roll my eyes and she smiles. "In high school, people hated me though because they thought I was an asshole."

She laughs and shifts off my lap, falling back on her stacked pillows like me "you are an asshole," she concedes. I didn't need to confirm that because that's the truth.

"Mom used to say I get it from dad, which I guess makes sense. I'm a lot like him, the anger, the drinking all of it."

"You are nothing like your dad," She tells me sitting up and turning to face me.