FIVE

"Looks like someone has a secret admirer." My assistant, Lotus, exclaimed while bringing the bouquet into my office. "Could it be from the lovely fiance?"

I doubt it.

"I hope so." I gave him a fake smile before standing up to grab the vase. I pulled out the card and carefully placed down flowers. Lotus stood waiting for me to open the card.

"White roses for my goddess." I read.

"How sweet."

It was sweet, but who were they from?

"Oh shit. What time was the meeting for today?" I questioned while quickly opening my planner. "It's right now, Lotus, why didn't you remind me?"

I frantically grabbed my things and my computer. I rushed out of the office with Lotus hot on my trail. We arrived at the conference room where the bored staff sat waiting for my arrival.

"I am so sorry about being late."

They remained quiet while adjusting in their seats. They hated me. I could hear the whispers of the office about how unfit I was to be the CEO of S & W. Often I felt the same way. Being late to meetings or having speeches unprepared. This was all new to me and it was hard getting myself adjusted.

"I have a few sketches for the runway presenting our new look." My shaky voice said while reaching in my briefcase. My folder crashed to the ground and everything fell out. "Shit!"

"Excuse me?"

"I'm so sorry, please excuse my language."

I laid my designs out on the board before picking up the scrambled papers on the ground.

"I wanted to do a cohesive theme between the men and women clothing. So I actually wore this design before. It's a dress completely made out of rhinestones in a pyramidal pattern. I designed the boys' look to have the same pyramidal pattern in the jeans. So they have these lines that can be created with a stitch."

"That dress looks a little familiar." The old man sneered.

"Yeah, isn't that your night out dress? I'm sure we don't want to market that."Amanda shook her head causing the entire office to irrupt in laughter.

"Well, what do you suggest? I can keep bringing this up. S & W will fail if we don't go in this new direction. Ankle-length, pleated skirts are out. You want me to send them down in tacky ass new balances and an ugly cardigan?" I pointed towards her outfit.

~

"Athena Love Solana!" My father lectured.

"Daddy, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to lose my temper on them, but they were humiliating me. You've always taught me to stand up for myself. It's my company, really I can talk to them, however."

"It's my company that I'm letting you borrow. I have people to please and with you mouthing off, that won't help. Learn to control your temper and stop acting like your mother."

"Acting like my mother? My mother was a coward, at least I'm standing up for myself. I refuse to sit in the middle of the conference room and let them tear me apart. You're a motherfucker for not defending your daughter!"

"I can't defend you when you're always acting wild. Who would want a CEO who gets drunk and kicked out of a club because she can't handle her liquor."

"You've always been embarrassed by me. Business has always been more important than me."

"I'm not embarrassed by you. You constantly make a fool out of yourself to where I won't accept it. You do realize that you're carrying my image and the Landons' image. Learn to settle down and stop getting angry."