FIFTY-ONE

"Pick an envelope." Athena hopped on the bed while pointing five envelopes toward me. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What's this, beautiful?"

"I'll tell you after you pick one."

I picked a random envelope.

"Okay, Bia and I were scrolling through TikTok and saw this amazing idea where you put a bunch of Disney princess movies in an envelope."

"Gross."

"No, listen." She pouted. "Okay, like I was saying. Depending on the princess, we cook food from the movie and eat it while we watch it."

I hated Disney movies, mostly because they weren't ideal, but she seemed so excited. I smiled.

"Anything for you."

"Yay! Now open the envelope."

I opened the envelope.

"The princess and the frog, the menu is..." I flipped the card. "Beignets."

"Ah!" She squealed. "Come on, my love. Let's get cooking."

Which we spent the next hour researching beignet recipes and cooking them. To say we made a mess was an understatement, but the fun of it all was worth it.

We sat on the couch. Athena was cuddled up to me. We'd gotten through a good bit of the movie and she was already dozing off. I expected it though.

"Look how she lights up the sky." The little bug sang.

This was my first time watching this movie, I can admit that it was pretty good. Athena knew the words from the back of her hand. Dialogue and song.

"That someone as beautiful as she."

I looked down at Athena. She was asleep with powdered sugar around her mouth. She looked beautiful.

Her eyes fluttered open before looking at me.

"I'm sorry. I fell asleep." She giggled. "Ah, my fav song."

She started humming along.

"I love you, Evangeline!" She finished before laying her head on my shoulders.

"You love that song?"

"I love it. When I was younger, id always dream of having a wedding based on this movie. The lights of the fireflies. You can just feel the love of everything and everyone in this movie."

She grabbed my hand.

"I'd walk down the aisle and everyone would be holding these lights that looked like the fireflies." She shook her head. "I was a dreamer."

"It sounds beautiful."

"Thank you." She kissed my hand.

We finished up the movie. Of course, Athena was fast asleep. I carried her upstairs and laid her in bed before jointing next to her.

~

"Have you reviewed the samples?"

I nodded while tapping my pen.

"Have you chosen one?"

I nodded again.

"Did you like it?"

I nodded.

"Use your words." My mother whispered to me.

"I forgot them," I whispered back.

"What?" She questioned.

"I left the samples at home."

"How could you have managed to do that?" She tapped my leg. "Do you know how hard it was for me to get you this appointment?"