THIRTY-TWO

"My father should be at work," I whispered on the phone while walking into my fathers' estate. "I'll be careful, Tobias. I promise."

"If you need anything call. I'll be in a meeting."

"Yeah of course."

I hung up the phone and stuffed it in my pocket. I looked around before heading towards the basement door.

"Athena."

"Daddy." I slowly turned around.

"Ladybug, I'm so sorry." My father said. His eyes were filled with compassion.

He looked like the father I once knew.

"I had a problem. A serious opioid problem but I got help and I realized how terrible I've treated my ladybug ." He said.

"I just needed to grab some of my items from my room. That's all."

"Please. It's me." He grabbed my arm. "You don't have to forgive me but give me a second chance."

He seemed genuine and I could see the hurt in his eyes. But my father has hurt me too many times. I knew he wasn't sober in the past, but that was no excuse.

"Do you understand how horrible you've affected me?" I questioned. "You made me so miserable dad, you made me feel so unloved during times I needed you most."

"I know. I know and I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, ladybug."

"Stop calling me that." I closed my eyes. "Please."

"Is it the company? I can sign it over. It's yours, Athena." He frantically said.

"Gifts and apologies won't win me back father. It did in the past but I'm different now. Ever since you've been out of my life, everything has been so clear. My rainy days are gone. For the first time in my life, I'm excited about my future. A future where you're not present."

He looked down. I could see the tears spilling out of his eyes. I felt bad, but that feeling didn't outweigh the pain he caused. I sighed before hugging him. He squeezed me tight.

"I failed you and I'm sorry." He whispered.

I hugged him tightly, feeling the presence of a man who once meant everything to me.

"I don't forgive you."

~

I sat with my knees to my chest staring out at the beautiful city of New York. Feeling the breeze on my skin somewhat cleared the many thoughts that controlled my head.

God, why was life so complicated. I shouldn't complain, I have everything that I wanted, but that came with a cost.

I was at a crossroads with how I felt about my father. I loved him dearly, I didn't want to but I did. He's done terrible shit but seeing him cry meant something else.

I've never seen my father shed a tear or plead for forgiveness. I saw him in a different light.

I didn't want to leave him. My father was all I knew. The only consistent person in my life, good or bad. I shook my head while wiping the tears from my face, but they kept coming.

"Stop, Athena," I whispered.

"Athena? It's three in the morning. Everything alright, love?" Tobias questioned.

"Yeah." I sniffed while turning my head. "I'm fine."

"You're crying. Did something happen at your fathers' place? I should've gone." He shook his head.

"No. He didn't do anything." I sighed.

Tobias sat down next to me.

"He apologized to me and it seemed sincere." I started. "And it felt like the old him. I felt safe when he hugged me. He called me his ladybug."