16. Is it too late to say sorry?

Chapter 16

Roxanne's POV

I just got home after being with Grayson and went to the kitchen to drink water. A basket of cranberries, cherries, blueberries and strawberries are lying on the kitchen table.

Oh no. I open the fridge and there I see crab cakes.

Anger overwhelms me as I confirmed Archer was here and bringing the same stuff that he did before. What the hell does he want?

"There you are. Have you seen Archer?" Granny's loud voice made me jump.

I turn and see her smiling face. "Yeah, but we never had the chance to talk. Did he say what he wanted?"

"No. Only that he needs to talk to you."

I got a glass of water, then drank it.

"Are you two going back together?" She asks, her eyes gleaming.

My goodness. This is what I'm afraid of, giving granny false hopes.

"No, granny, that's not possible. Archer has a girlfriend and they're madly in love. Even though he's my boss now, we're not even talking. We still hate each other."

Her lips twisted, "I don't think he hates you now. He brought these berries, and some crab cakes."

"I don't know what he's up to." I heaved a sigh, " I'm sorry gran, I know you're a big fan of his, but I don't like him coming here in the house, and bringing gifts. It's the same tactic he used to win me over, remember?"

"Well... you're right. But he's really a nice guy, and very handsome too. I still wish that you will have a heart to forgive him. Everyone deserves a second chance, my dear. Besides, he never cheated on you, and he never lied. He was just too scared to defy his own mother."

"He's a coward and judgemental. He had no balls to defend me. Like his mother, he accused me of something that I did not do. He always does that, believing others first, before getting the truth. He did it again lately, accusing me of something that I did not do."

"Oh, my... maybe that's the reason he came."

Granny was right. That evening, Archer arrived and brought a blueberry cheesecake, too tempting for anyone to resist. We just had dinner, and granny and mom were too excited to eat the dessert.

Oh God, those two are traitors. They know I hate the guy, but they're easily bribed with food.

"What do you want?" I say to him, the moment we were alone in the back balcony, sitting side by side on the wooden white bench.

I can smell his cologne, still the same old cologne that I used to love before, and now... I hate it.

I wait for him to speak, my eyes fix at the apple tree in front of the balcony. It looks healthy, but it never grows fruit. Something must be wrong with it.

Archer clears his throat, I can feel his nervousness. His hands clasp together, between his slightly parted legs.

"I saw the CCTV footage and saw everything. I'm so sorry... for being such an idiot, for defending Pipa and accused you of starting the fight."

I heave a long sigh, then say coldly, "are you done? You can go now, if you are."

"I-" I can feel his eyes staring at me, "no. No, I'm not done. I... I'm going to break up with Pipa."

I turn to him angrily, and snap, "why are you telling me this? It's none of my business. I don't give a damn about you, Archer. What you do with your life, I don't care! Just leave me alone. I don't like you coming here, bringing food and getting too friendly with my family."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry about everything... my behaviour in the past, and now, for upsetting you. I'm a total mess, Roxanne," his voice trembles, in a sinking tone, "since we broke up, I stopped living."

"If you're here to talk about the past, then you can go now. You shouldn't be here. People will talk."

He pauses, and takes a minute before he talks again, "I shouldn't have listened to mom, and asked for your explanation. You were my girlfriend, but I did not defend you. Instead, I judged you right away."

I hiss, then fold my arms together, "If you're asking for my explanation, then you're two years late. I won't tell you the truth, it doesn't matter anymore. Believe what you want to believe, I don't care! The damage has been done, and I won't make any effort to make myself clean. My conscience is clean, I can sleep well every night, and I've done nothing wrong to anyone."

"I'm not asking for your explanation. I..." he says, obviously trying to choose the right words to say, "I just want to let you know I believe you."

"You believe me now?" I let out a sarcastic chuckle, "without knowing the whole truth?"

"I don't care about the truth, Roxanne. I don't care about what people say, and I don't give a damn about anything anymore. My life is so fucked up. I shouldn't have broken up with you,"

"Stop messing with my life, Archer. You had no balls to defend me from your family and judged me like I'm a total stranger. How dare you, for discarding me easily like an old toy? You broke not just my heart, but also my pride." I stand up, then walk to the door.

"Roxanne..." he stands up too and stops me.

"You must leave. I have work tomorrow. My boss is very strict for time. He doesn't tolerate tardiness."