24. Still With You

Chapter 24

Roxannes's POV

"Hey, are you two kissing?"
I jump hearing Julia's drunk voice.

I instantly push Grayson away, and he leans against the doorjamb staring at me with dazed eyes.

That was an explosive kiss, like a dynamite explosion. So addictive that made me lose my mind.

I look at Julia who sat up and stares at us.

"We... we..." I'm lost for words, trying to come up what to say. But Julia lays down on the bed again, turns on her side and went back to sleep.

My attention shifts back to Grayson who stands frozen in front of me.

"Why did you kiss me? For heaven's sake Gray, and in front of her." I hiss at him, in a whisper.

He frowns staring at me with disbelief.

"What? It was you who started it."

"What do you mean I started it? Are you for real? You kissed me first."

"Because you lean forward, asking to be kissed."

"I was not asking for a kiss! There's this damn nail here poking on my head. So I lean forward." I pointed at the nail in the doorjamb, and that made him laugh.

"Come on, let's continue our argument outside. How about a stroll in the beach?"

"Okay fine, I'll just get my shawl."

Later, we stroll at the beach. We talk about Julia and her overwhelming possessiveness.

"She doesn't want us to be... you know, being... more than friends." I try to explain to him, that won't sound very awkward.

"Did she warn you about it?"

"Several times. That I should not hook up with you, because you're off limits."

"That little minx." He groans angrily.

"She made me promise, and... and I don't want to break that. Our friendship means a lot to me."

"You already did. We kissed twice."

"I did not, because you started it all."

"I admit the first one, but tonight, it was you who instigated it." He says, his eyes are teasing.

"I told you, there was a nail."

"You could have to move your head at the side, but you lean so close to my face. I'm a gentleman, I don't want to embarrass you..."

"That's so bullshit!" I slap his arm and he flinches in pain.

"You're abusive!" He pulls me in his arms and carries me to the water, threatening to dump me.

"You're overreacting! That doesn't hurt at all!" My arms are around his shoulders, his face buried against my neck. "Don't you dare, Gray. I easily get colds."

His laughter is gone, his breathing becomes ragged as his lips press on my neck.

"What's with you and Archer? Are you with him?"

I can feel the jealousy in him, his arms that grip my spine and thighs tightened.

"Nope."

He suddenly relaxes and walks toward a lounger, laying me down on it.
He lay down beside me, as he continues to talk.

"That night we first kissed, I went to your house when everyone's gone. I saw Archer's car at your front yard. I assumed you were still together."

"Is that the reason you became cold to me again?"

"Am I that obvious?"

"Very. You're too transparent if you're upset with someone. Do I upset you often Gray?"

He chuckle "not with you, but to myself. I can't stop myself from liking you."

His eyes gleam as he stares at me lovingly.

"Seriously? You really like me?"

"Isn't it obvious? That night, I went to your house to tell you about how I feel. But when I saw Archer's car, I shut off."

I told him the reason Archer was there, that he just found out about Trev. The reason for our breakup and his determination to bring me back.

"Do you still love him?"

I shook my head.

"That night when we broke up, I lost all my love, trust and respect for him. I could never be with someone who won't value me as a person. He never defended me. Instead, he believed the lies thrown to me by his mother and Mrs. Adorf. He did not even listen to my explanations and immediately assumed the worst of me. He called me a bitch, a fucking liar, cheater... and more names that I could not take. I'm glad that it happened though, it showed his true self."

"He deceives people with his charm and print ad smile. There are more skeletons in his closet He paid all the bullies in high school to torture me and make my life miserable."

"That fucking asshole idiot! He's a monster! Oh Gray, I don't know that he was the one responsible to that. You did not deserve any of it. But why did he target you?"

He told me about his real father, the mayor. Archer's hate for him for being the biological son.

"So, he's your half brother?"

"Nope. I learn from mom that his real father is not the mayor."

"Oh gosh, I thought I already know all the secrets of the West Family. Julia is a winner, she keeps this secret from me."

"She is. But I really thought you already knew. She has a loudmouth, "he chuckles, "It had been a family secret, but right now, it's out open. My mom is back with the mayor, and now that his divorce is final, they're getting married soon."

The information really surprised me. No wonder Meg is blooming nowadays.

"I'm happy for Meg. But, are you happy that your parents are together again?"

He shrugs his shoulders, "I don't know, I have mixed feelings about it. I haven't forgiven him totally yet."

"Ahh.. I know you Gray. You'll learn to forgive him once you see your mom happy and smiling all the time. As the saying goes, Time will heal all wounds."

"Spell WOUNDS."

"Seriously? We just had a serious conversation and you want to mock my spelling abilities?"

He laughs aloud, then says, "Okay, spell SERIOUSLY. That's easier."

"I hate you Gray, you know I suck in spelling! Stop mocking me."

"I just want to make you laugh. How about MISSISSIPPI?"

"Stop it or I'll walk out."

I stand up but he stops me, pulling me back beside him.

Lying side by side, facing each other, our conversation shifts about us.

"That nude photo you sent me, was that intended for Archer."

I nod, and his expression turns to disappointment.

"But I didn't send it to him. I realized I shouldn't have done that. It's not appropriate."

His laughter echoes the night, "so you realized. Damn. That was crazy, you shouldn't send photos to anyone. That's not normal."

"I was not normal before. I was pretty delinquent!" I laugh so hard.

"But you're different now."

"I learned from my mistakes. Losing my father was tough. I was miserable, depressed and furious. I rebelled. But that was in the past."

I'm so proud of you Rox. You're a champion."

"But not in spelling." I giggle, and we both laugh so hard.

"I admitted my feelings for you. Do you even like me Roxanne?"

His question caught me off guard. Should I tell him the truth? What about my promise to Julia?