TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE
bloody knives.

THE SCHOOL DAY WENT quicker then Ruby expected, slinging her heavy bag over her shoulder as she walked to her locker, Jake stood by it.

"Hey." Ruby greeted, grabbing a book from her locker as she stuffed it into her bag, hurrying to catch up with him as she zipped it shut.

"Can you walk any slower?" Jake teased, placing a hand over his eyes as the sun shined down on them.

She pushed him up the bus steps, scoffing under her breathe as they sat in the back, "do you ever shut up?"

Junior walked into the bus, glancing at the two laughing, he rolled his eyes, sitting in the free seat in front of them.

The bus ride was filled with Ruby and Jake arguing over the smallest things, Junior quickly getting annoyed at the twos rambling.

He stood up before the bus came to a full stop, the doors opening as the fed up boy pushed past the people exiting the bus.

Ruby furrowed her brows at his harsh behavior, grabbing Jake as they walked off the school bus, Junior at his front door.

"What's his problem?" She asked, widening her eyes as they walked up the brick pathway.

Jake shrugged, "probably us."

They opened the front door, Junior typing in the alarm code, his brows pulling together as it was incorrect.

"Oh, Logan changed the code." Jake blurted, stepping towards the system, "It's, uh, "bell lap" now."

Junior watched as he typed in the code, shutting off the timed alarm, Jake shooting him a small smile as he began to make his way towards the kitchen.

Ruby set her backpack down on the counter, sighing as she tucked her soft dark strands behind her ears.

"Hey, you want a popsicle?" Jake asked the two, opening the freezer door.

"Yeah."

Junior scoffed under his breath, "No. Thank you."

Jake ignored Ruby's request for one as he shut the freezer door, making her raise her hands, he turned to Junior, "what?"

"Nothing." He looked through the mail before looking back up at his cousin, "it's just, I don't need you offering me popsicles in my own house. You know what I mean? Annie's been making those for me since I was three years old."

Ruby narrowed her eyes at the boy, "do you have to be a complete jerk about everything, Junior?"

"Stay out of it, Ruby." He responded harshly, throwing the half opened bills on the table, making her jump.

"So?" Jake walked around to the opposite side of the counter, her eyes flicking between the two.

Junior sighed, "so could you just stop trying so fucking hard. Okay?"

Ruby rolled her eyes as she walked to the charging port behind Jake, plugging her phone in as she turned around.

A loud yelp left her mouth, her hands covering her lips as she backed up into the framing of the doorway.

Jake's eyes widened as he noticed what she has seen, he slowly backed up, "call 911."

"What are you doing?" Junior asked, confused by the twos frantic reactions over something he couldn't see.

"Call 911!" Jake yelled, running around the kitchen as he searched for the redhead doll that was capable of doing this.

Junior peeked over the counter top, his lips parting as he seen his maid of years hunched over the dishwasher, her blood covering the washed dishes as a knife went through her throat.

Tears fell down Ruby's cheeks, her eyes squeezing shut as all she could see was the terrifying image of death.

She felt a hand on her elbow, expecting it to be Jake, she opened her eyes, instead it was a frightened Junior.

"Give me the phone." Ruby grabbed the house phone out of his shaking hands, his eyes wide as he couldn't take them off of the woman.

Ruby stepped in front of him, his eyes falling on her as she attempted to block the dead behind her, "hello! There's someone dead. I don't know what happen, please we need emergency services."

She placed the phone down on the counter, sniffling as she placed her palms on his chest, "it's okay. It's fine."

He couldn't speak, in a state of shock as he shook his head, the sirens approaching ringing in his ears.

The police force, and EMT's hurried into the home, immediately going to the crime scene.

"Come with me." A woman grabbed the two shaking teens, Jake beside her as she walked them into another room, far away from the kitchen.

Ruby placed her hands over her face, her elbows digging into her knee caps as she dried the tears surrounding her light eyes.

Bree walked into the crowded home, watching in horror as the dead woman was being rolled out in a black bag, "oh, God. Where are the kids?"

"It's okay." Logan reassured his wife as he hugged her, "They're alright. They're with the grief counselor."

Bree was a state of shock, sadness, and confusion as she turned to Detective Evans, "I'm sorry. I know it's cliche but Annie really was a part of this family."

"I'm so sorry. What was her home address?" The woman asked.

"Oh, this is so embarrassing. Um, she lived on the south side. She always took the bus in." Bree folded her hands, fiddling with her ring as they walked into the kitchen.

Detective Evans nodded, "Okay. What about next of kin, family? Anybody we should notify?"

"Um, I don't think she had anyone besides us, did she?" Logan glanced at his wife.

"She has a brother, I think." She pledged, "he lives in D.C-Baltimore."

"Okay, we'll check it out."

Logan paced back and forth, attempting to find some answers as officers were in every corner of his home, "how could this happen?"

"Well, turns out it happens more often than you think. Happened to a woman up in Vancouver just last year."

"Some people load the knives blade up cause they think it'll get it cleaned. It's a fallacy, by the way." Another detective added, placing the clear bag filled with evidence on the counter.

"All it takes is one little slip." The woman sighed, shaking her head slightly.

"Or one little push."

AUTHORS NOTE <3

sad sad sad