Prologue: Seventeen Years Ago

Iris was a Hebrew child. She lived with her mother who was Hebrew and was an only child. She never knew her father, who was a palace guard. She lived a peaceful life with her mother for nearly five years. Helping her mother with her little dress shop. Life was hard, but peaceful.

Her aunt Yocheved lived next door to them with her three children. She recently had a baby boy. Who does not have a name yet. But his older sister was called Miriam was ten and his older brother was Aaron was eight. Iris loved her new little cousin. Glad she was no longer their youngest in the family.

But one day Pharaoh Seti the 1st orders that all the Hebrew baby boys are to be killed to prevent the Hebrew population from overtaking that of the Egyptians. Seti feared that as the Hebrews grew in number, they would attempt to overthrow him. Iris' father feared for his daughter, she could get hurt during the attack. Trying to protect her little cousin. So sent word to Nerissa (Iris' mother) about the attack. She knew her daughter would have to leave so grabbed the clothes her father had brought her.

Iris was sleeping soundly in their shared bed. When her mother shook her awake. "Mama" she says tiredly rubbing sleep from her eyes. That are a honey brown colour. Her hair was a very dark brown. Nearly black and reaches her waist.

"You need to clean yourself and put these on" Nerissa tells her. Pointing to a pail of noble clothes. Iris looks at them in confusion. She's a servant, why would she dress as a noble. "Hurry, we don't have much time" she tells her. Iris cleans herself and puts on the clothes. Her mother then cuts her long hair.

"Mama!" she cries, she loved her long hair. It took her years to grow it. Now it's above her shoulders. Nerissa soothes her humming a lullaby softly as she brushed her daughter's hair. Then put a gold head band on Iris' head.

"Why do I wear this mama?" Iris asks her confused. "Why cut my hair?" she whines.

"Trust me, my darling daughter" Nerissa tells her. "You have to go away for a while" she adds.

"But why?" Iris cries as tears fill her eyes. Suddenly the soldiers reach the border of the Hebrew homes. And they hear the screams of terror. Iris clings to her mother scared.

"It'll be ok, we'll be fine" Nerissa assures her. Just then Omar enters the house. "Omar, I'm glad you're here" she says relieved.

"Is she ready?" he asks her.

"Yes, here is her bag" she says handing it to him.

"Who is he mama?" Iris asks as she clings to her mother's skirt. As the screams draw closer to their home.

"This is your father" Nerissa tells her.

"Say good bye child" Omar tells Iris.

"But what about you? And aunt Yocheved and her family?" Iris asks her mother. Not leaving her mother's side.

"We'll be fine" Nerissa assures her as she pushes her gently towards Omar. "Now go with your father, I promise you'll see your cousins again one day" she tells her. Before Omar picks up Iris.

"Mama!" Iris cries reaching for her.

"Take care of her" Nerissa tells Omar.

"You know I will, good bye Nerissa" he says and left with Iris.

"Mama!" Iris cries trying to break free of Omar's grip.

"Hush child, we don't want to be spotted" Omar tells her.

"But..." Iris starts to say.

"No buts child, your mother can't be with you anymore. Neither can her sister and her children. I am all you have and you will behave" he tells her firmly.

"Yes sir" she says as tears fall down her cheeks. Omar sighs, he didn't want to cause his daughter pain. But she can't go back there, not for a long time. She may never see her mother or aunt again. But she'll have a better life with him. She'll be safe and happy. He'll make sure of that, he promised Nerissa.

(Elsewhere with Yocheved and her family)

"Yal-di ha-tov veh ha-rach, al ti-ra veh al tif-cha-d. My son I have nothing I can give. But this chance that you may live. I pray we'll meet again. If he will deliever us" Yocheved sings. She runs through the village with her children. Miriam holding a basket and she holding her baby boy.

Nerissa stayed in her sister's home pretending to be her. When the guards appeared demanding for her youngest nephew. She refused to give him up. They beat her and left her bleeding out. Going onto the next house.

Yocheved and her family reach the river safely avoiding the guards. Miriam places the basket down and Yocheved places her baby boy inside. He starts to fuss and she sings to him. "Hush now, my baby, be still, love don't cry. Sleep as you're rocked by the stream. Sleep and remember my last lullaby. So I'll be with you when you dream" she sings. He falls asleep and she kisses his forehead. Before putting the lid on the basket. She carries t into the river as her two oldest waited on shore.

"River, oh, river, flow gently for me. Such precious cargo, you bear. Do you know somewhere he can live free? River, deliver him there" she sings. She lets the basket go and the current takes it down stream. She returned to shore and Miriam followed her baby brother from the shore.

The basket in the river, then the monkeys look at a basket. It passes fish, birds, crocodile, hippos unharmed. Then men fishing try to retrieve the basket with their fish net and fail. She watches the basket flow by geese into an court yard. Where Queen Tuya is with her hand maidens and three year old son Ramses.

Queen Tuya spots the basket and places her son down. Miriam watches from the shadows as the queen of Egypt removed the lid from the basket. She smiles lovingly at the baby boy inside. As he coos her her smiling. She picks him up and kisses his cheek. "Brother, you're safe now and safe may you stay, for I have a prayer just for you. Grow, baby brother, come back someday. Come and deliver us too" Miriam sings softly before leaving.

Tuya exits the water holding the baby close and her hand maidens bow to her. "Mummy!" Ramses calls grabbing her skirt. As she goes to leave.

"Come, Rameses. We will show Pharaoh your new baby brother, Moses" Tuya tells him with a bright smile. They headed for the throne room with the two maidens being demised.

A/N

Picture above of Iris (Both little girls are her) above on the cover along with baby Moses.