Destroyed Temple

Iris' POV

It's been seventeen years since I last saw mother. I'm twenty-one and will be celebrating my twenty-second birthday in a few weeks. I live in the palace as a hand maiden to the queen. I've been serving her since I was sixteen and I'm good friends with the princes. But I know Moses is not the pharoah and queen's biological son. I confronted the queen about it and she told my the truth, swearing me to secrecy.

Otherwise I'd never be allowed to see Moses again. I kept it as I know Moses is my cousin. Thanks to Miriam and Aaron who I reunited with ten years ago. They told me of my mother's death and of the death of their own mother. They work as slaves helping build the temple of Ra. I don't see them often, but cherish the time when I do.

Anyway Moses and I have a great relationship. He's like the little brother I always wanted. Though he is always getting Ramses into trouble. Ramses and I talk, though I get tongue tied around him. And a little clumsy. It's because I have a crush on him and have down since we were children. It's never gone away, but I know he'd never fall for me. A servant girl.

"Iris, you seem distant" Queen Tuya says.

"Sorry your highness, I was thinking" I tell her sheepishly and get back to getting her ready.

"Thinking of my sons again?" she asks with a smile. I bite my lip trying to fight my blush. She giggles. "Do you know where they are today?" she asks me.

"Having a race" I answer and curse myself. That was suppose to be a secret.

"Where?" she asks me.

"I don't know, they were riding their chariots" I tell her.

"Honestly, those boys. What am I going to do with them?" she mutters.

"What are my chores day my lady?" I ask her once she is ready for the day.

"No chores today, just follow me around and be there if I need you" she states. "There's be a banquet tonight and I want you to enjoy yourself" she tells me.

"I'll do my best me lady, but know I'll be there if you need me" I tell her.

"I know you'll always be there" she says with a smile. Suddenly there is a knock at the door. I stand behind the queen with my head down as she faces the door. "Enter" he says and my father enters.

"My queen, I have urgent news" he states bowing to her.

"Then speak" she tells him.

"Your sons, the princes have destroyed the temple of Ra" he states. I gasp in shock and the queen looks surprised. "They were racing on their chariots and no one is hurt. But the pharaoh has demanded their presence and knew you'd wish to be there" he explains.

"Then lead the way, Iris come" the queen instructs. My father bows and leads us from the room. I follow two paces behind the queen. Praying the pharaoh won't be to harsh on Moses and Ramses. Also that they are really ok.

When we reach the throne room, Queen Tuya goes to stand by the Pharaoh. While I stand by a pillar to her right. Dad stands by the door as the princes arrive heads bowed in shame. I notice Huy and Hotep also present.

"Why do the gods torment me with such reckless, destructive, blasphemous sons?" Pharaoh asks himself.

"Father, hear what I..." Ramses starts to say.

"Be still! Pharaoh speaks" Seti tells him. "I seek to build an empire, and your only thought is to amuse yourselves, by tearing it down. Have I taught you nothing?" he asks the princes.

"You mustn't be so hard on yourself, Your Majesty. You're an excellent teacher" Hotep praises.

"It's not your fault your sons learned nothing" Huy adds.

"They learned blasphemy" Hotep tells him.

"True" Huy agrees.

"Father, the fault is mine. I goaded Ramses on, and so I am responsible" Moses states. I smile, always looking out for Ramses. Tying to get him out of the trouble he got him into. That's what I love about my cousin.

"Hmm. Responsible. Do you know the meaning of that word, Ramses?" Seti asks his son.

"I understand, father" Ramses tells him.

"And do you understand the task for which your birth has destined you? The ancient traditions. When I pass into the next world, then you will be the morning and evening star" Seti reminds him. Yes, and marry a noble woman & have a child of your own. Probably forget about me I think sadly. But keep my face neutral.

"One damage temple does not destroy centuries of tradition" Ramses tells him.

"But one weak link can break the chain of a mighty dynasty!" Seti declares pointing at him. Ramses looks upset and Queen Tuya places a calming hand on  the pharaohs shoulder. "You have my leave to go" he tells his sons in a calmer tone.

"Father" Ramses says with a bow and leaves. I watch him go and want to go comfort him. But the queen hasn't demised me.

"You may go Iris, but do not forget the banquet" Queen Tuya tells me. I shot her a smile and bow to her & her husband. Before leaving the room. I spot Ramses and follow him.

"Ramses!" I call and he pauses to look at me. "May I join you?" I ask him.

"Of course, did my mother send you?" he asks me as we walk down the halls.

"No, I came alone once she demised me" I state. We soon reach a statue beside a balcony. He climbs it and sits on it. I lean against it. "I'm glad you and Moses are unharmed" I tell him.

"I'm sure you're glad Moses is ok" he mutters.

"What do you mean by that?" I ask him confused.

"You obviously like him" he states.

"As a little annoying brother, nothing more" I tell him. "I wish you both were more careful" I state.

"So you were worried for me?" he asks smirking down at me. I avoid his eyes as my cheeks warm slightly.

"Of course, you are my prince after-all" I tell him. Just then I notice Moses heading our way. While sowing a bag. "Moses" I say in greeting.

A/N

Picture above of Iris and picture on the external link of Moses with Ramses.