2.14 Charting the Course

"S-So does this make you a C-Rank now?" I asked cautiously.

"Yeah." He answered curtly. "Are you worried or something though?" Luka asked as he kept walking with me in his arm. "You're shaking like a leaf."

I'd like to see you try to stay calm when you escape from one yandere to only end up in the arms of another! "I'd just prefer to walk on my own..." I lied.

Luka nodded his head. "Got it." As Luka released me from his hold, he wrapped my chain around his knuckles once more.

"I also... don't approve of you treating me like a prisoner either."

Luka slowed his pace as he looked back at me. "A prisoner?" Don't tell me he thinks his treatment of me is normal...

"You're literally keeping me on a leash. I get not wanting to lose me again, but this is just too much!" I protested.

Luka's eyes darkened. "It's for your own good. If I'm not careful someone might try to sweep you away again." Luka gave a tug on the chain. "I'm not going to let anyone separate us again!"

He's really taking the protector thing to the extreme! If he's this adamant, then there's no point in trying to change his mind.

As we continued on with our aimless walk, I thought of something I've been meaning to say for a while now. "Hey, uh Luka..." I started. "I wanted to thank you for killing that guy back there. He's..."

"Jack Hargrove."

Huh? How does Luka know the former host? "You recognised him?" I asked in interest as I quickened my pace to walk alongside him.

"Becoming stronger isn't the only thing those crystals can do." Luka studied my face as he paused. "They can also help a zombie recover memories from their human life."

I see... sometimes I even forget that Luka was once human like me. I wonder what he was like before he died... Actually, now that I think about it, apart from his name I don't know a single thing about him!

"From what you know now, what were you like as a human?" I inquired.

"I was once a military veteran. I served in the same force as Jack..."

So, Jack really was a soldier! I should've figured as much based on the medals in his room. But who would've thought that he and Luka used to be friends? This is like Stefan and the Count all over again!

"All I can remember from my time was killing and watching my friends be killed." Luka looked down at his feet sadly. "Jack and I were once good friends too until he abandoned me."

"He abandoned you?" I tilted my head out of curiosity. Maybe this has something to do with him being a recluse...

"When the outbreak first happened, I was still serving the force. I don't remember the exact details but when it comes down to it..." Luka's eyes darkened. "He left me to die to save his own skin."

That's rough. You would think comradeship would be stronger than that. "Well, at least you finally got revenge on him in the end, right?" I said sympathetically, hoping that it might be some kind of consolation to him.

"I don't need revenge." Luka sighed as he wrapped an arm around my shoulder, pulling me into his body. "I just need you."

Uuuu... you just need another zombie brain while I need to get the hell out of this world!

"You've been asking a lot of questions. So now it's my turn." That's fair. Although I don't know what he'd want to possibly know about me.

"Why do you want me to become the next zombie king? It can't just be for protection, right?"

Ah. I can't really answer that question honestly. Not because I'd sound crazy, which in all fairness I probably would! But because he'd do everything, he can to prevent me from transmigrating.

"Well, I sensed something special in you." I lied. "I think you have the potential to do great things, so it would be a shame to not strive for more, right?"

Luka studied my face once more. "So, you're really in this for the long haul?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

I nodded my head in response. "Alright. But once I become king, I'm going to wipe out all of the other humans."

Woah, woah, woah! I feel like we've skipped a few steps there! "Why would you do that? Isn't that basically declaring war?" I asked anxiously.

"You'll be the exception, don't worry. I can't guarantee that you won't become an F-Rank if I turn you. So, I won't take that risk."

Okay, yeah, I guess that's kind of nice. But I don't plan on staying in this world after he becomes king! I'm just concerned about the rest of the population!

"Every single zombie must submit to the king. The only exception is when the king accepts a challenge from his second in command for his crown." Luka gave me a blood-curdling smile. Gosh, I prefer it when he's stoic instead!

"When I become king then no one can defy me. So that means I don't have to worry about anyone trying to take you away from me."

This is insane. He's talking world domination here! This is just a whole other level of yandere! God, I'm glad I won't be around for this; he'll probably keep me locked away in some kind of cellar until I die if I stay by his side to the end!

"Can we please put a pin in this whole future talk for now?" I said nervously. "I'd rather focus on our current game plan. Y'know, finding more high-ranking zombies..."

"Uh-huh. Speaking of which... do you remember those two parasites that gave us a lift in their van?"

I felt a shiver run down my spine. "Unfortunately, yes."

"They mentioned something about returning to base 18. That's a human survivor camp, don't you think?"

I fail to see how that will be helpful to us. We're looking for zombies after all, not humans! "I assume you have a plan, but regardless of that..." I paused momentarily. "How are we supposed to find it? It's not like there are any signs around..."

Luka gave me a cheeky smile. "As I said before, becoming stronger isn't limited to strength alone. My tracking has gotten better too."

If he can now track down people, whose scent he's never smelt before... Then I'm worried about what else he can do when he becomes king. God, the rest of the human population really doesn't know what they're in for...