4.21 Kiss Of Death

WARNING: Disturbing content

"WEDDING?" I shouted in disbelief as I was dragged out of the mausoleum. "I JUST WOKE UP, ISN'T THAT SUDDEN???"

Bennett rolled his eyes as he picked me up bridal style. "I've been waiting for this day for a long time." He turned to look at me, unamused. "A lot longer than a measly five years, might I add."

As we left the darkness, I prepared myself for the piercing light of the outside world. But to my horror, the world as I knew it had changed drastically.

The once blue yet smoky sky was dyed a deep crimson as smog filled the air. Everywhere I looked, there was carnage. Countless demons were feasting on the corpses of human beings.

What happened while I was–

"I suppose a lot has happened while you were in that coma." Bennett sighed as he continued to walk, unbothered by the massacred wasteland by which we were surrounded by.

"The gist of it was that a certain demon decided to revolt against the humans. One thing led to another and..."

Bennett smirked. "The demon side ended up overpowering the humans and killing them all."

How blunt... A second later my feet were suddenly planted back on the ground. "We're here," Bennett smirked as he kissed my cupped hand. I wanted to gag in response.

As I was led into the dilapidated church, arm in arm by Bennett, I gulped as I readied myself for the worst. Things were just as you would expect. The church was barely standing as the interior was filled with nothing but rubble and destruction.

I had half-heartedly expected a priest to be awaiting us at the end of the aisle. But the church was surprisingly empty. As I took in the hollow room, we soon reached the altar.

Bennett sighed before pulling out two expensive rings. "Sadly, we can't get this wedding officially ordained by a priest." He smirked to himself playfully. "Y'know, since they've all been killed by demons."

Was that supposed to be a joke? He's acting like this is just a regular Tuesday for him! Everyone is... dead. Innocent people like Ophelia are dead. Thoughts like that ring heavy around my neck...

As Bennett held the rings up proudly to admire them, he continued. "It goes without saying that you'll say I do. So, we can just skip the formalities. It's not like it matters anymore."

Begrudgingly, I played along with whatever fantasy this was and slipped the ring onto his finger. I simply wasn't in the mood to fight him.

Bennett's eyes lit up once the ring was placed on his finger. As he went to place the other one on mine next, I tensed up as I closed my eyes in dread.

"VANA!!!" A voice echoed through the barren church as the doors were suddenly pulled open.

Looking to the side, I was taken aback by a surprising figure. "Cassius?" I said in disbelief as I pulled my hand away.

He looked... different. I know it's normal for someone to change a lot within five years. But it was still a shocking sight to see, nonetheless. He had grown his hair out and was wearing a dark expensive suit. It was as if he had become more... serious. And even cold?

As he made his way down the aisle, Bennett went to block me from his view. "I should have known you had something to do with Vana's disappearance." Cassius spat coldly.

Bennett crossed his arms, haughtily. "And what of it?" Bennett responded curtly.

As the two were now standing face to face with each other, neither one showed any ounce of backing down. "If I had known a halfling like you would become such a nuisance, I would've killed you on the same night as your father."