3.7 Plans Set Into Motion

"VANA!" Ms McCollin screamed from the pigsty. Uh-oh, I've been dreading this...

As I ran towards the sty, I pretended to be ignorant of the entire situation. "Oh my god. What happened here?"

Ms McCollin's eyes started to twitch. "You didn't see what happened?" She inquired suspiciously. I shook my head firmly. Ms McCollin sighed in disappointment before returning her gaze to the carnage. "It's just like those girls..."

"Girls?" I asked absentmindedly.

Ms McCollin redirected her gaze towards me with a scowl before softening her expression. "You probably aren't aware of this, but strange things have been happening in this town for a while now."

As she put a pair of gloves on, she continued to speak. "From random earthquakes to girls going suddenly missing. This town is unusual. Some people think that the disappearances are related to the earthquakes, but I have my doubts."

I leaned in closer to further inquire about the story in a hushed voice. "What do you think is happening?"

Ms McCollin looked around suspiciously before responding in a serious voice. "It's the government's doing." I sunk my shoulders in disappointment. "Or it's an alien invasion..."

I didn't take Ms McCollin for a jokester. But on a more serious note, I should still keep what she said in mind. Perhaps everything really is connected and leads back to Cyr—

Wait. What's Cyrus doing outside? Seeing as Ms McCollin was far too preoccupied with the pig carcasses, I made a quick escape as I pulled Cyrus to the side.

"What are you doing out here? You're supposed to be hiding in my room!" I angrily whispered.

Cyrus enveloped me in a tight hug. "I got lonely." Ugh, it's going to be difficult to convince him to stay in my room all day.

"Georgina?" A voice called out.

On instinct, all eyes were on an unfamiliar man who stood beside Nick. Upon hearing this voice Ms McCollin walked up to the man in an unusually nervous demeanour.

"H-Hi Michael..." Ms McCollin stuttered as she twirled her thumbs behind her back. Where the hell did her feistiness go???

"We heard that all your pigs were killed last night." Michael started. "So, I thought I'd lend a neighbourly hand in these troubling times." Michael's face started to flush. "Do you accept cash or credit?"

Ms McCollin shook her hands wildly. "N-No, that's fine. I can't possibly take money from you. I'll get by s-so you needn't concern yourself with—"

Michael pushed some money into her hands as he closed it firmly. "I insist. It's no trouble at all."

Ms McCollin blinked in surprise. "O... Okay." That was all she could say as Michael excused himself.

Damn, Nick sure works fast when it comes to matchmaking. At this rate, he'll complete his mission and venture into the next world before me!

Once she caught herself, Ms McCollin turned around to look at me angrily.

"I don't pay you to stand around all day. H-Head into town and get a chicken from the butchers!" As Ms McCollin covered her mouth blushingly, she made her way back inside the pigsty hastily. "I need to get started on dinner soon..." she mumbled under her breath before disappearing.

"Need any company?" Nick asked as he stuffed his hands into his pockets.

"No," Cyrus answered on my behalf as he clutched even tighter on my arm.

Nick smiled as he laughed it off. "Someone's gotten possessive. You sure know how to pick them, Vana."

Actually, it's more like they choose me. I can't help it that I seem to attract yanderes wherever I go! At least Nick is the exception to this awful curse.

"Let's just all go together," I said defeatedly. "Social interaction should help him become more of a human than a... creature. It's probably better that we integrate him publicly with humans rather than isolate him entirely. Don't you think so?"

As we strolled through the grocery store, I had to keep scolding Cyrus every few seconds. "Stop that! You have to pay for the oranges before you eat them!" I said swatting the fruit from his hand.

"I wasn't going to eat it. I just wanted to take a bite..." Cyrus explained defeatedly.

Nick stretched out his arms. "That's basically the same thing." He said absentmindedly.

Cyrus gave Nick daggers. Geez, it's like Nick can't even breathe around Cyrus! Turning to Nick, I handed him some money. "Could you show Cyrus how to pay for things while I head to the butchers?"

"Sure. We'll meet you outside when we're done." Nick said as he patted Cyrus on the back. As he led him away Cyrus outstretched an arm to me longingly with a pained expression.

As I made my way towards the butcher's counter, Rohan stood there with a beaming smile. "I didn't expect to see you again so soon."

"Me either. But Ms McCollin asked me to go buy a chicken."

Rohan playfully winked as he gave me a thumbs-up gesture. "Got it!" As he went looking for a chicken he continued to speak. "So, has she said anything about that new stock she got in? We're running short on pork..."

Ha, funny you should mention that... I can only see the supply going further downhill with Cyrus in town. "There's been a slight delay with the livestock. We had an animal attack last night..."

As Rohan placed the chicken on the counter, he dropped his smile. "Oh no. No one went missing though, did they?"

Geez, there really is a conspiracy going around this town. "No..." my voice trailed off warily.

"Well just be careful, a lot of girls your age has been going missing recently."

"They probably all ran away after you broke their hearts!" An old lady interjected from behind. As I turned to her with a look of confusion, she tightened her grip on her purse.

"Be careful of that playboy, he's been known to toy with all the girls in town!" As the woman left with a scowl on her face, Rohan hung his head in shame.

"Why does everyone have the wrong impression of me?" He mumbled to himself.

Feeling awkward, I tried to switch the subject. "Uh, how much will this be?"

Once outside, I was surprised to see Nick talking to a group of boys. Wait. Aren't they those two jocks I met before? Now that I think about it, they did say their friend lived next door to me. I guess they really are friends...

As I approached the group, the once sulking Cyrus lit up like a Christmas tree as he went running straight for my arms. "You've got to help me. I think I'm losing brain cells from just listening to them speak!"

"Oh hey. Guys, this is my friend, Vana." Nick said introducing me to them.

The brunette jock slapped his forehead as realisation dawned on him. "So that's why she seemed so familiar! She's the girl you're always talking about—"

"S-Shut up!" Nick said blushingly as he punched the boy in the shoulder.

"So then, Nick..." the blonde-haired boy spoke up. "Are you sure you're ready to put your money where your mouth is?"

Nick gave the boy an assured look. "Trust me, I'm confident that I can pull it off."

"I'll believe it when I see it." The blonde maintained. "Ms McCollin and Mr Sullivan are the biggest grumps in town. It's hard to see them falling for each other."

So, the matchmaking continues... I wonder what kind of tricks Nick has up his sleeves if he's willing to make a bet about it.