Chapter 22

He was sitting idly on the couch beside the window waiting for Haru to come back. The sun rays fell on his tired face making him seem glowing. His eyes were squinting but he was just liking the warmth as if the sunrays were hugging him with their golden arms.

Even with the fiery glow, he looked calm as the ocean, his bangs moved in the breeze as if light waves.

She came and her glance itself fixated at him. He was so immersed in the elegant rays that he never noticed her presence.

She could easily look through him and she hated to accept that she knew he was hurting inside. More than hurting, he was broke. She even knew, no matter what the curve of his lips stated, his heart was yearning for the contrary. He just wanted to cry, all he wanted was a shoulder.

Mia came from the back and patted her shoulder. "What are you doing here? Weren't you leaving with Kook?" She asked.

She nodded once and looked back at him. She turned to Mia and held her hands, "Mia, why don't you ask Jungkook how he is doing..."

"Why don't you?" She asked instead, tilting her head in confusion.

"Just do it, he is close to you," she insisted, almost desperately.

"You're his wife Haru, that's really insensitive of you to pass on your responsibility to me," Mia remarked, not very appreciative of her demeanour.

"I can't. You don't know Mia. Please, for his sake."

Mia sighed and nodded. She walked forward to sit beside him gaining his attention.

"Mia? Where is Haru?" He asked with sleepy eyes. Haru heard him and quickly hid herself behind the wall.

"She's coming. Well Kook, how are you doing?" She asked and he just nodded.

"You look exhausted Jungkook. You know, you can tell me whatever you want to," she paused and then added, "I am your best friend after all."

That was all it took him to break down. Tears came as if his pain had finally condensed into a deluge of rain. She embraced him quickly, patting his back and he too wrapped his arms around her shoulders. He craved it, he craved the embrace of someone, literally anyone who cares. He just yearned for warmth.

"I feel lost Mia," he cried.

"It's okay Jungkook. It's okay to feel lost," she whispered to him.

"I don't know Mia. I don't know when my life will be worth it. I hate myself too much to live."

Haru's heart clenched while she was listening to him. She felt an odd pain that was unreasoned. She hated the fact that her heart or maybe her very soul, still ached for him. All she could do was to hear him sniffle and choke on sobs. She knew he was guilty but how does that help? Time did pacify her heart but it never healed. Her wounds weren't treated, they were just bandaged without an antiseptic forcing the blood to stop oozing out.

He finally composed himself and parted. By the time there were tears in both Haru's and Mia's eyes.

"Why are you crying?" He asked Mia.

"I really can't watch you crying, Kook. Just make sure you're happy," she wished him with all her heart, making him grateful.

Haru wiped the tear stuck on her cheek.

"Okay Mia, I think. I feel better. Thank you-"

"You know we don't say thank-yous, what has happened to you, Kook?" She interrupted him.

He flashed a cute bunny smile, "yeah I'll treat you something good for sure-" that's when he saw Haru moving towards the exit. His voice hushed and he got up precipitously.

"Bye Mia, I need to leave," he said in a quick voice. Running behind her who was pacing towards the car.

"What's up with you Kook, really?" Mia yelled back.

"Sorry, will talk to you later," he replied, his gaze fixed at Haru's figure.

"She doesn't give a fuck about you. Why don't you see me? I love you Jungkook," she yelled back, tears brimming her eyes. This sentence made both Haru and Jungkook stop in their tracks. By this time, Haru was out of the house but stood there, no one can see her but she can clearly watch and hear their conversation.

Jungkook was standing at the main entrance, about to leave and was standing a few metres away from him.

Yoona and Jimin came from behind, all lovey-dovey and laughing. Once examining the serious ambience, they became two more mute spectators of the scene.

"You... You what?" Jungkook fumbled.

"I love you, Kook, I have loved you for so so long. Even before you found Haru. We were friends but I always loved you like something more. I love you," she sniffled, tears running down her cheeks without hindrance.

Her stance made the audience feel hurt. She was a common friend of all and watching and hearing her all broke made their heartache.

"I wasn't even supposed to fall in love with you at the start, hell, now I wish I never knew you. We were just supposed to be friends. But somehow, in some way, I managed to fall for you. How stupid I was, gosh. You were never supposed to find out about my idiotic crush on you. But I have been going through this unrequited love
for years and now it's killing me inside!" She yelled, frustrated and taken aback by her own stupidity.

"She doesn't treat you right Jungkook. The entire night yesterday, she didn't speak a word about you. She doesn't deserve-"

"No Mia. You are wrong. She deserves the world. She deserves much more than my stupid self can ever provide. You don't know, I am the villain here and not her!" He snapped back as Jimin and Yoona exchanged glances of inquisition.

She took a deep shuddering breath, "Could it be so hard?"

He looks over at her, furrowing his eyebrows ever so slightly. "Could what be so hard?"

"To love me," She sighs, peeking over at him. "Could it really be so hard for you to love me?"

He bit the inner corner of his left cheek and squeezed his eyes shut in hope that it stops him from saying anything he'd regret.

He contemplated, letting out a small whisper as he reopened his eyes. "Perhaps."

•••