48. Save

48. Save

"Were you already aware of what I was?"

When Korosensei asked him that, he wasn't quite sure how to answer. Nao didn't look surprised when he was told about the experimentation and the history, so he figured Korosensei picked up the pieces and tried to put them together.

Nao really looked suspicious, didn't he? He doesn't want to cause any misunderstandings, so he should deny it here and dismiss it as him being too tired to be surprised.

"Yes, I knew from the start."

Oops.

There was a purple tinge to Korosensei's face as he asked his next question. "And how did you know?" it was a little less of a threat and more of a very restrained warning.

There were some perks to being too weak to be worth attacking, Nao surmised.

"No one told me, nor was I ever directly involved," Nao assured, sipping on his coffee. "I was just born into this world with that knowledge. I know a lot of things."

"...And you've never made use of this knowledge because?"

Nao frowned. "What makes you think I never did?"

Korosensei fell silent.

"You're the same," Nao says. "You knew most of this was going to happen, you already knew from the start that your death was inevitable. You've accepted it, but it's not like you're not trying anyways."

Korosensei has always tried his best to improve himself, physically. He devised countermeasures, if he were to ever come near death. His molting, liquefaction, and absolute defense forms were just some of those.

But what was the point? He was going to die, either way, and yet, it seems like Korosensei wasn't quite ready to accept it either.

"It doesn't matter what we do or try, destiny will still run its course," Nao told him. "So what if a few people have noticed the invisible hand of fate? It's not going to divert its course just to keep us surprised."

Nao knew everything from the start. But he didn't desire for the world to change around him, and thus, he left things be.

"Ultimately, my story is not about what I can do and how big of a ripple I can cause," Nao said. "It's about what it will mean for the people I interact with, for this world we'll leave behind, and for myself."

-

Winter break ends, and the students come together, armed with knives and guns in red and blue, on two sides of a partitioned force of will.

"I want to save Korosensei," Nagisa said.

Karma scoffed. "So you're just going to discard the bloodlust we've built up all this while for that pansy ideal? You want to reduce everything Korosensei's done for us to nothing?"