7. MARIA CORTEZ

IT WAS VERY LATE AT NIGHT after I had my outburst at Kylan

IT WAS VERY LATE AT NIGHT after I had my outburst at Kylan. I decided climbing onto the room for fresh air was a good idea. After a couple hours of cooling off, the realisation of what I did finally sunk in and I felt horrible. I was such a bad person to him. All he's done since meeting him was being welcoming and generous and I just yelled at him to stop sucking up to me. God. I ruin everything.

Someone's loud breathing could be heard behind me and I chose to ignore it. They finally sat down next to me and I recognised it instantly as Kaleb. I was the closest to him out of the the bunch. But I still wasn't close with him.

"Heard you went off at my dad" he giggled, trying to defuse the tension. I didn't make a reaction and his chuckles died down.

"Could you imagine someone choosing to leave? I mean your mother was so kind and generous and it wasn't fair that she didn't get a choice in whether she wanted to stay or not. Whereas my father chose to leave. He got the choice to stay with his family or abandon them. Sometimes- Sometimes I'd wish that he died instead. So then I wouldn't feel the emptiness that he left. It's easier to tell your friends your dad died instead of left you. I don't know if that makes me a bad person. I really wish your mom got that choice. I would love to have met her" I blurted, surprising myself with the sudden burst of confidence. There was a silence between us before he spoke up.

"I miss my mom more than anything in the world. I wish I could have gotten more time with her. I was only seven when she passed. Kian and Kane were eight. And Kameron was 9. I always wish I could go back and change that she dies. But I can't. And I have to move on. I'll always love her. And no one will ever replace her. But that doesn't mean I won't love anyone else just at much. I aspire to be her. Her kindness, her love, her passion. And I know she would want me to tell you that it's ok to think those things about your dad. And just because he left that emptiness in you, doesn't mean it won't become whole again in the future. But the first step to healing is moving on. My dad learned that the hard way. But look at him now. He loves your mom so much. He will always love my mom but she would have wanted him to find someone else to be happy with. And that means you can be happy as well. With or without your dad. I hope that one day you will accept us as your family. Your other part. To fill that emptiness with" he smiled sadly at me before standing up and walking back into the house. I stayed up there for a couple more hours before going to bed.

Maria Cortez. Your son is a godsend.

————————————

Kaleb words lingered in my mind the entire night and when I woke up the next day I knew that I better have a damn good apology up my rear end.

I woke up a little later than I'd like but never the less I walked down the stairs towards the kitchen in my oversized shirt and hello kitty shorts. Don't judge, their comfy ok?

As soon as I entered the kitchen, everyone's heads turned to me. Kylan, Finn and Kaleb were smiling at me while the rest were giving me disapproving looks.

"Hey I made pancakes if your hungry" Kylan smiled. My heart clenched. Why was he being nice. I literally yelled at him yesterday.

"Please don't act like everything's fine" I whispered, my head hung low. Kylan smiled sadly at me before putting the plate of pancakes down on the table.

"I'm really, really sorry for the things I said to you. You didn't deserve them one bit. You've done so much for me, and my mother and all I've done is treat you like dirt. I was really upset yesterday and my emotions were everywhere and you did not deserve to be on the receiving end of it. Everything just went wrong yesterday. Nothings ok. And I know that's no excuse for what I did. So you can ground me. Take away the car, my phone. You can take my privileges to do things. You can do you whatever you like because nothing will ever compare to how cruel the things I said to you wer-"

My sobbing mess of an apology was cut shirt but Kylan pulling me into a bear hug. I clinged onto his shirt and let out the last of sobs while he ran his fingers through my hair and another hand rubbing my back.

Once I calmed down from my fit of sobs I pulled away to see my mother behind him, tears in her eyes. I reached out for her and she pulled me into a tight hug again.

"I'm sorry" I sniffled. She shook her head against mine. "No it's ok baby" she whispered. I pulled away from her, feeling the eyes of everyone else on me.

"I'm gonna get ready for school now" I excused myself before jogging up the stairs towards my room again.

———————————

Ok, Day 2
I can do this
I can do this
You can do this
Let's go do this

I chanted inside my head as I walked to my locker. After I got all my stuff and shut my locker a familiar face popped up.

"What's up Sunshine?" He smiled. I smiled back before hesitantly looking around for Kameron to somehow appear out of the walls and ruin my day. The Thorne boy sensed my unease and tried to comfort me.

"It's alright. Kameron's running late today" he chuckled, watching me blow out a long held breath.

"I'm doing really good now that your here" I beamed towards him. He smiled even bigger and tucked a piece of my dark brown hair behind my ear.

"The hunt for friends not going well?" He smirked towards me playfully. I shook her head timidly, the words of people still stinging me at the memory.

"I don't think anyone wants to be associated with me. They think I'm weird" I mumbled, looking down at my old black converses.

"Well they are so blind. Because there is a perfect, funny girl right in front of them. You are not weird Elle. Don't listen to what other people say" he assured me with a warm smile. "Besides, more of you for me then" he joked, causing me to slap his arm while he laughed at me. The first period bell rang, cutting our time short.

"I hope to see you at lunch, Sunshine" he tips  his head forward and disappears down the hall.

——————————————

My day had gone well so far, not great but not as terrible as yesterday. But lunch hadn't happened yet.

Oh jolly.

I walked into the cafeteria for the second day and noticed them at the exact same table and walked towards again. Today I chose to sit next to Kaleb and I started talking with him about one of my teachers until I smelled a familiar scent of wood and cologne beside me. I turned to him with a smile and he slyly smirked at me before counting down out loud. I gave him a confused look until I realised who's thundering footsteps where approaching.

"No Nick" he grunted before pulling him away.

"It was still worth a try, hey Sunshine?" He shouted as he was hauled out, making me giggle. I tuned back into the other boys conversations but once thing still wondered my mind.

What was I gonna do about Nick Thorne?