(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧) the sun

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

ESTE FOUND EDWARD IN HIS ROOM when she returned home. Carlisle was still at work, Rose and Emmett out hunting. Este wasn't sure where Alice and Jasper had gotten to but Edward was alone up in his room by himself, his eyes tracing over a book as Este stepped into the room.

He looked up at her curiously, eyes shining in amber. He'd been overdoing it, ensuring he hunted as much as he could so temptation could never catch him out.

"She's fine" Edward stated simply.

"I know" Este replied, "I was coming to see how you were"

"I'm fine" Edward shrugged, pointedly turning a page in his book. Este wanted to say something else but her mind was running dry. She wanted to ask Edward how he felt about Bella, what they'd spoken about in the car, whether the accident had been brought up again since last time. Edward read her mind casually but didn't answer any of her questions, he instead introduced his own.

"Why'd you tell Bella about being stabbed?"

"Did you see that in my mind or did Bella tell you?" Este asked as she leant against the doorframe.

"Bella's very intrigued about it, curious. As anyone would be"

"I didn't think it was such an unusual event" Este shrugged, "bad things happen to people all of the time. Anyway I told her to explain that what she saw, with you running across the parking lot, was just her brain filling in blank spaces due to adrenaline and stress"

"Is that something that can happen?"

"I heard Carlisle talking about it once" Este answered, "I panicked when Bella brought up you saving her, it's evident she thinks there's more to the story and although I tried to explain that you aren't some kind of superhero I'm not sure she was listening so I turned to the next best thing"

"A medical explanation" Edward murmured, "I should've thought of that"

"Probably, saying Bella hit her head when she was barley left with a graze probably wasn't the best plan. Why did you tell her that no one would believe her story? No wonder she's so intent on finding out the truth"

"I wasn't thinking" Edward replied,

"Evidently" Este stated as she walked further into the room and sat herself on the arm chair in the window, watching the trees move peacefully in the wind. Somewhere in the distance she could hear a herd of deer running.

"You want to know too much Este" Edward spoke calmly, "is it because you believe you'll be able to decide how it'll end if you know every fact? If that was the case I would've already told you. There's nothing left to figure out. Bella is still as much as a mystery as she was the day I met her"

"Well that can't be true" Estella pointed out, "you must know more, you've spoken to her"

"Trivial facts" Edward shrugged, "nothing that would be of any interest to you. I know what you're doing Este, you want to compare this to the beginning of you and Carlisle but surely you must realise that everything happens in different ways. Just because the situation is similar doesn't mean we're going to follow a script"