(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧) an assortment of bugs

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

BEFORE ESTE HAD BECOME AWARE about how fast time was going, 2005 was over. She lay over the cushion covered sofa, a book in hand watching as fireworks doused the sky in shows of beauty and celebration.

Este never cared much for the beginning of New Years mainly because her years were somewhat countless. It became less exciting after a century of the same rituals. Yet she did enjoy watching the fireworks out of the window as they coloured the night sky in patterns.

She got three days off from work a week. Este didn't really need them. It was almost therapeutic, going to work. Her mind would be calmed for the hours she'd walk around the empty supermarket placing boxes onto shelves and serving the occasional customer, usually drunk teenagers or tired business men.

Este liked the simplicity of it although she often wished there was more for her to do. Yet the supermarket was located on the outer line of the main town meaning she could watch the silent forests as they danced in the wind and she'd the very few remaining leaves which had still been hanging on for comfort.

Apart from that she'd play her music and zone out watching the time on the clock go by as the pointless scent of food engrossed her. Este only had to work with people for half of her shift as the beginning of the night shift was always busier than the end.

She never engaged with them. There would usually be one, sometimes two if it was a Monday, Friday or the weekend. The only time she'd hear gossip was at crossover or when her coworkers would have hushed phone calls in the staff room. It was amusing that they attempted to remain subtle even when their expressions and eyebrow raises couldn't be more obvious

On her days off, Este would find herself rather lonely. Carlisle didn't get as many of them and often their days didn't coincide which meant even when he could spend the night at home, Este would be swept away with her own job. Alice and Jasper were pretty much always two floors up throughout the night when Jasper wasn't driving around on his motorbike and Alice wasn't exploring the town with the pretence of being a local.

Their fifth month into the town of Ithaca and Este still didn't feel as though it was anywhere closer to becoming a home. She still felt as though they were between lives but it was becoming increasingly obvious that they wouldn't be able to move anywhere else for the time being.

There were a few reasons for this. First being that the Cullens were often very particular about where they lived. Ithaca evidently didn't fit the right parameters but even the places that did didn't have properties simply waiting for them. Often they planned in advance. Whilst in Alaska, Este had designed and planned their entire house to have it built for when they got there. With having to leave Washington so fast, there hadn't been time for any of that.

The Cullens needed a house that relied on isolation, somewhere embedded in the woods. Woods were very important, they needed wildlife in order to stay fed. It had to be close enough to a town so they could engage with the people there and find jobs to cure them of boredom and create the impression that they were anything but strange.