(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧) to new beginnings

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

EVERYTHING STARTED MOVING VERY quickly as soon as the first day had passed. Alice and Jasper made it from Colorado to Ithaca on the Thursday, three days after Carlisle and Este had arrived. Since then they'd been trying their best to fit their large hoard of possessions into the space which was half the size they were used to.

Since they had no idea how long they were going to need to stay in this apartment, there was no point hoping they'd find somewhere soon and therefore keeping everything in boxes was counterproductive. However even after the attempt of unpacking, things were still a mess. Boxes became a part of their decoration, sat in corners filled with clothes that wouldn't be shoved into the wardrobe. Este feared for what Alice's bedroom would look like if she couldn't control her closest.

Books sat in precarious piles over the houses. Some of the larger ones had been stacked close to the sofa that they could've been a coffee table. Of course neither Este nor Carlisle had any use for mugs but occasionally a tv remote or collection of rings would be left on the top of them while they pretended to be furniture.

It was weird that despite not needing a bed nor a kitchen that their home felt anything but. Este could've survived without walls or a ceiling but even with more than they needed there was so much missing. Este knew that she was lacking gratitude from her blurred mind. A decade with the Cullens had turned her into the very person she would've scoffed at twenty years ago. It was all very ironic.

The kitchen had become a homage to boxes. Este supposed there was still the hope that they'd be packing again in a couple of weeks and therefore the counters and cupboards were overridden with cardboard. Este was sick of the feeling of cardboard. The coarse jagged edges and the harsh sound it made whenever the corners ripped or simply gave in from the weight of a dozen medical anthology's that Carlisle probably didn't even need.

Este had been more than happy to hear the familiar sound of the Harley Davidson motorbike pull into the car park. Alice and Jasper had rode in together which was nice for them but also had meant that more than half the boxes that they were drowning in didn't even belong to Este and Carlisle. The kitchen boxes had Jasper written all over them and Alice's large array of clothes had stained every single surface.

However this wasn't the reason why Este was happy to see them. Of course their living became a lot less crowded when the rest of the boxes could find a new home upstairs but really despite it only being a short time since she had seen them, Este was starting to miss her kids a ridiculous amount.

She was used to seeing them almost daily, used to hearing their regular complaints and funny stories from school or hunting. She was used to watching football with Emmett, playing chess with Jasper, going shopping with Alice, talking avidly about sitcoms with Rose or playing piano and writing music with Edward. She was used to being with them, in the same house, under the same roof. Like a family.