Chapter 14 - Birthday

New Summer:

Changbin stared out the floor to ceiling window of his apartment, arms folded to tightly hug himself, enjoying the wisps of clouds he rarely got to see. He was waiting for Minho's friends to arrive for his birthday party. Changbin had been sneaking Minho into various Average and Sub-Standard locations to go on dates with Jisung for the past couple of months. He always felt like a third wheel, even when he left right away. Though they weren't an official couple, they might as well have been with how much they hung out and talked to each other.

"Do you think Sungie's friends will like being here?" Minho interrupted Changbin's thoughts, his voice full of anxiety.

Changbin gave a half smirk. "Like being here, or be okay tolerating you?"

Minho laughed while rushing towards the window, throwing his arm around Changbin's shoulders, taking in the view himself. Minho was becoming a much softer and forgiving version of himself, and Jisung's enjoyment of cuddles had become infectious. Changbin loved the fact that his friend was more understanding. He even thought of going to group therapy with Jisung and Hyunjin after the president's order was lifted. Minho and Jisung were hopeful that day would come, but Changbin wasn't so sure. The squirrel's optimism was often a double edged sword.

A knock on the door made Minho jump, half startled, half out of joy. He rushed to the door to look through the peephole, making the excited noise he made whenever he saw Jisung. Changbin rolled his eyes, the door revealing a whole gang outside.

"Hey baby." Jisung immediately fell into Minho's embrace.

"Hi Sungie! What a crowd you have here!" He dragged his pseudo boyfriend away from the entrance to let everyone in.

"Well, Felix told Chan about it, so he invited his boyfriend, who invited their other friend, and now we're a big group." Jisung turned to look at Changbin, still stuck in Minho's arms. "I hope you don't mind?"

Changbin smiled widely. "Nah, the more the merrier! I hope I have enough snacks for everyone though..."

Changbin strolled to the kitchen, knowing Minho would officially be unhelpful as long as Jisung was around. Chan and Jeongin offered to help, even though they never met Changbin before. They would need to be introduced at some point, since Changbin wasn't really connected to the center like everyone else was. He had nothing against the mental health centers, but was acutely aware of how the president's order was affecting the overall mood of his best friend the longer it went on, despite finding so much peace in Jisung.

Drinks were handed out per request and snacks were brought to the coffee table Changbin had in front of his couch and recliner. Minho and Jisung cuddled on the recliner, while Chan and Jeongin did the same on the couch. Seungmin decided to sit next to the couple to feel safe next to his friends, while the others grabbed chairs from the kitchen to sit on. They were all helping themselves to food and laughing in their own small groups.

"First off," Changbin spoke over the hum of the small talk, "thank you for helping my friend not be an asshole anymore. It's a fantastic birthday present!"

Minho looked offended. "You know, I worked really hard to change!"

"You're welcome. He's tolerable now." Hyunjin looked at Changbin next to him, smiling as he often did.

"You can't take credit for that, Jin!" Jisung wanted to throw hands at his friend, but Minho pulled him close to his chest, wrapping his arms and legs around the brunette's slim waist. "This was all me!"

"Okay, sure." Felix said at Jisung's constant refrain. It wasn't that far from the truth, but it wasn't completely accurate either.

"Is it okay if we do introductions? I'm not sure who some of you are, though I'm happy you're here." Changbin asked as Jisung and Hyunjin argued amongst themselves about who helped Minho more.