Chapter 9: Heights

By the time I arrived at the airport, the rain had abated, and the sun peeked through the shadow of clouds. The grounds were blinding as the water-covered asphalt gleamed and shimmered, reflecting the bright orb in the sky like a huge mirror. I put my sunglasses on as I exited the car, trying to deflect some of the intensity. When my eyes focused, I noticed there were roughly thirty people in the immediate area, many of them FBI agents. Karen was among them. The agents watched the airline workers lift the angels' boxes and carry them into the cargo area of the plane. A frown dominated Karen's features. The look didn't sit right with her face. I didn't blame her. Who would want one of their own to ride in the cargo area of a plane?

She must have felt my eyes on her because she turned to face me, her frown instantaneously twitching up into a very affectionate and welcoming smile. I returned the gesture. It seemed almost impossible not to feel cheerful in her presence.

As the airport employees loaded the cargo, Karen barked orders. One guy cowered in fear. I smiled at her exasperated face and wondered if she was stressed. Did angels feel stress? I knew they could feel sadness. Luke's golden tears ran across my mind. I couldn't imagine the loss he must have felt at losing not only his sister but his twin.

My driver placed my suitcase next to my feet. "Dr. Moretti." He tipped his hat.

"Thank you," I said. I pulled up the handle on my luggage and dragged it across the tarmac toward the plane, hoping it wouldn't pop open after everything I had shoved in there. The stairs to the plane were down, but this was not a small puddle jumper. It looked as huge as a Boeing 787.

One of the FBI agents came my way. He was tall and handsome. Maybe Jenna had it right about the whole FBI requirements. His earpiece bobbed as he scampered my direction.

"May I help you?" he offered, shooting me a dazzling smile.

"That would be much appreciated," I said.

"My pleasure."

He lifted my suitcase as if it was feather light. Maybe I could introduce him to Jenna.

"Ladies first," he said. His hand rested gently on the small of my back as he led me toward the stairs.

The inside of the plane was not set up as I was used to in a typical commuter plane. There were couches with coffee tables, big screen TVs, and a bar. Most of the couches faced the front of the plane. A hostess smiled and offered me a drink before I even had the opportunity to sit down. I declined. This was how the FBI traveled? Maybe I had gone into the wrong profession.

The agent helped me put my suitcase in one of the overhead bins and smiled at me, his teeth straight and white. "It was a delight to meet you, Dr. Moretti."

For some reason it didn't surprise me he knew my name. "It's Gabriella." A blush snaked its way up my cheeks. "I'm sorry. I didn't catch your name?"

His smile brightened. "Agent Carter."

"Will I see you on the flight, Agent Carter?" Was I flirting? Damn Jenna and her ideas. But he was delicious in his black suit with light brown hair and his dark-brown mysterious eyes. Plus, the voicemail I had received earlier made me want to venture out. No more drunk, burping men on my voicemail. That was a promise I was making to myself—starting right now.

"You will, Gabriella." His eyes twinkled. "You can call me Joseph, by the way." He paused to touch his earpiece. I thought it was funny how they all did this when someone spoke to them over the tiny device.

He frowned. "I've got to go, but I'll see you back here shortly." He threw me another grin before descending the steps of the plane.

I bent to retrieve my book from my purse, and when I straightened, Karen was sitting next to me. "Gah!" I screeched.