Chapter 12: Journey

Lurking in the shadows was a pale face. His blazing eyes aimed toward a woman who glowed a pearly white: her eyes, her hair, her skin. Everything about her was sparkling and shining.

The two were communicating, their mouths moving, but I heard no sound. A man stepped from the shadows to show a strong build and black hair. He wore the Nebulous Sun around his neck, which rested on his chest. His jaw was tight, his features strikingly handsome, but his clothes were from another time period—an ancient time. He was not like the Shadow who seized me in my office. His features were human.

They were arguing, and they transmitted the intensity of their power and skill. Light flashed between them, and magical shields flew up as they both deflected the energy. Another woman, luminous and authoritative, joined the other. Now it was two against one. More light flashed between the group, yet I was unable to see the outcome.

My focus was fading.

"Abelie?" My head snapped to the left to see who was calling my name.

It was Andrew. "Run," he shouted. His face was lined and grief-stricken.

The women turned to face me, their white eyes macabre. I stepped back and fell to the ground, tripping over something. My hands slipped on a wet substance, and when I glanced down, I saw golden blood leaking from the body I'd fallen over. It was like a molten river. My heart pounded in my chest so violently I thought it would jump out my throat. The women swept sinuously toward me. Andrew flew through the air like a bullet, his eyes thundering his rage. The women turned on him and struck him down.

"No!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. Tears descended my face, leaving golden stains on my white dress. Andrew's hand reached toward mine, but I couldn't grasp it. I was too far away. A force pulled me backward, away from the dying angel.

<>

"Gabriella," a soft, frantic voice sounded in my ear. "Gabriella? Please come back to me. You're all right. We're safe."

I was in the dark, my eyes closed tightly, tears finding their way from under my lids. Warm arms were around me, a steady hand sweeping my hair from my moist face. He spoke light and fast, a liquid language spilling from his tongue. I took a breath as if I'd been holding air in my lungs for an hour and blinked my eyes open.

Andrew's face was only inches from mine, a tortured expression displayed there. His hand swept along my chin and up to my ear. "I was worried," he whispered. "You were sending sparking jolts through my body. I'd felt them from you before, but this was intense. I could feel what you were feeling."

He hugged me to his chest before lessening his grip so I could see him again. "You screamed, and it was as if lightning blew from your fingertips."

The bus was quiet, and I craned my neck to look around. Everyone was conveniently looking away from us.

"The bus isn't functioning anymore." His eyes darted up toward the front before swinging back to my face. "It seems your gift has disabled it."

I sat up, and my head spun. "Ugh." I made a noise and put my hand to my forehead as if it would stop the spinning. It felt like I had drunk half a bottle of alcohol. "Where are we?" I looked out the window, the darkness spreading out like a creeping shadow.

"Nowhere," he answered. "The man said another bus is on its way to take us to Boise City."

I stood and quickly lost my balance. Andrew steadied me. My breath whooshed from my mouth, and I fell back into my seat.

"I didn't mean to frighten you," I said. In the dream, I had been someone else. I tried to remember the name, but I couldn't grasp it. "My dream was so real, and I thought you were—" I cut myself off.