Chapter 17: Scheming

"So far, we have no effective strategy," Joseph said while leaning over one of the lab tables. "There are cameras at every corner and guards at every exit. This place is locked tighter than Fort Knox."

"Cut the electricity." I shrugged. It seemed obvious to me. "Then the men inside couldn't see, and the men outside would no longer have the spotlights to light their way. There would be no cameras to watch our every move, and the doors would open—"

"Then the doors would be sealed with us inside," Karen said.

"Dammit." I punched the table.

"But we might also be able to use that against the guards," Joseph said. "If we accomplish getting outside and turning the power off, then they'll be stuck inside."

I nodded for the superior plan. Andrew leaned against a wall in his cell, golden eyes glued to my every move. The glass couldn't be that thick. Why couldn't he just break through the glass like Ehno had with the door on the plane? What kind of glass was this? It was a bit unusual that the angels couldn't just break out. I'd seen Andrew's muscles firsthand and knew he could do some damage if he wanted to. Though it should've been the last thing on my mind, I couldn't help thinking about him in action, his muscles rippling with the effort, glittering with sweat. My face flushed at my thoughts—not because I was embarrassed but because wow.

I glanced at Karen, wondering if my feelings were clearly displayed on my face. She stared pensively at the door I'd entered earlier. I shook my head. Right, back to scheming.

Karen had magically appeared in my house, and so had the Elders. Why couldn't the angels just poof out of here? My senses were tingling, suspicions running high. Suspicious of what or who I wasn't sure. Jeez, we'd only been underground for minutes, and I was already geared up to get the hell out of there.

"Okay." My voice cut the silence. "How do we get on the outside and cut the power?"

"That's the tricky part." Karen pulled up a stool and sat. "If we go into the cells, it'll look like we're working, but if the angels leave, then it looks like we're rescuing them."

"What happened to 'Operation Liberate Angels'?" My lips pursed, words bitter in my mouth. It was funny earlier, but now I was disappointed at the lack of a plan. The silly name had given me hope, and now I had none. "It seems there is no 'operation' to speak of." As soon as I spoke, I instantly felt guilty at the look of reproach Joseph shot me.

The room grew silent as we stared at each other. My mind worked feverishly toward a solution to our predicament, but I didn't know anything about the facility. Palm scanners, keycards. Who knew what other type of security clearance we'd need to get into the more secure places?

I caught Joseph staring at me and was about to ask him, but as soon as I opened my mouth, Ehno spoke up.

"We could fight," he said through the small holes in the glass. Ehno's hair had been cut, just like Andrew's. Except, his was shorter, neater. I wondered if Andrew fought against whoever came at him with scissors.

"With four of us, we could easily take them out," Ehno continued.

There was a growling noise coming from Andrew's cell, and our heads snapped his direction. I didn't know a person could make that kind of noise. Well, he wasn't a person, now was he?

Andrew pushed off the wall, and his jaw went tight. "That's not an option. Gabriella could get hurt."

"It's true," a soft soprano voice came from the farthest cell. Lucia's voice was that of a calming ocean wave, soft and smooth. "We must protect her above all others. The prophecy speaks of keeping the Illuminator safe. She must be protected at all costs. Fighting is not the answer."