Chapter 5: Hello Crazy Eyes

Rowena Flores strongly believed in three things: karma, the evil eye or "ojo" as her cousin Lorena called it, and never sitting on public toilets

Rowena Flores strongly believed in three things: karma, the evil eye or "ojo" as her cousin Lorena called it, and never sitting on public toilets. As much as she racked her brain, she couldn't come up with a single reason for the bad karma that was her constant companion the past few days.

"Comfortable?" The wolf who had abducted her from the Howler's territory, asked. He was tall, blonde, and had what Rowena could only describe as crazy eyes. He might've been handsome if he didn't look like he wanted to murder her in the next five seconds.

"Of course," she answered, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "Who wouldn't be comfortable while being tied to a chair wearing a nightie in front of a crazy abductor in an unknown place that smells like dead rats?"

He sneered. "You're pretty mouthy for a human. You should be begging me for your life right now."

"Well, hello crazy eyes. You're pretty predictable for a kidnapper."

She noticed his clenched fists and took a deep breath. She really needed to calm down before she riled her newest abductor enough that he just murdered her.

"You don't know who I am, do you?"

Rowena shook her head. "All I know is you have crazy eyes."

"I'm Flint Sloane." His eyes narrowed and he leaned forward, his nostrils flaring as he inhaled deeply. "I was waiting for Cross to give my sister justice but now I know why he delayed. Your scent is very compelling. If my eyes look crazy, it's because they're full of grief."

"You're Casey's brother?" Rowena could see the resemblance. "You're part of the Nightshade pack, aren't you?"

"I see Cross told you a few things as well."

"I didn't kill your sister."

He ignored her. "Are you a witch? Everyone's been saying a witch killed my sister."

Rowena grunted in annoyance. "I'm not a witch but if you give me a crystal ball, I can tell you your fake fortune. I work as a cashier at Sweet Homes in Clarkton. I never even knew your sister until a few days ago when I caught her and my ex-boyfriend. They were having an affair."

"You think they were having an affair?" He made a scoffing sound and shook his head. "Wolves need other wolves. If a wolf seeks the companionship of a human, it's just a fling. You were the other woman in their relationship, not my sister."

"It makes no difference to me since Reed and I are done. His house burned down which is horrible for him but even worse, your sister was in that house. Despite what anyone thinks, I am not a witch and if I were a witch, I'd be a good witch who wears kickass pink poofy dresses. I would not be a bad witch who uses magic to murder. Not me. No way! So, can you please let me go so I can find my cat, go home, and pretend I never knew werewolves existed?"

He watched her silently for a few moments and Rowena thought she'd mentally lose it. She was sick and tired of being tied up and accused of murder. She was about to yell at Flint-which was a stupid name as far as Rowena was concerned-and demand her release, when the door to the cement room they were in opened with a groan.

A short man with wild red hair rushed in. His brown eyes locked on Rowena. "Flint! What have you done? Greg isn't going to like this. He wants us to stay at peace with the Howler pack."

"Stuart, they weren't doing anything to this woman after she killed my sister!" Flint shouted, as if that explained everything. "If Greg doesn't think it's important to get vengeance for a pack member, he shouldn't be alpha."

Stuart sighed. "Flint, you know as well as I do that Casey was almost exiled three times and this last time it was only a matter of Greg making the announcement. You were the only reason he didn't banish her months ago."

"What did she do?" Rowena couldn't help but ask. In all the shifter romance books she read, she couldn't recall a wolf being banned from a pack.

Flint growled at her before turning back to Stuart. "Casey was a bit wild but she never did anything to get kicked out of the pack."

"Flint, your sister was not a loved woman. She encroached on mated males and the females didn't like it. If that weren't enough, her vandalizing the rec center after Bobby broke it off with her didn't make anyone happy. Then there was the illegal gambling ring she got caught up in."

Wow. Casey had been involved in an illegal gambling ring? Rowena wondered if that had anything to do with her murder.

"People wanted her gone, Flint. You loved her but Casey did what Casey wanted to do and I'd be lying if everyone wasn't secretly wishing Reed Condren would take her as a mate so she would join the Howler pack."

Rowena swallowed her gasp. She knew Casey was a homewrecker and it seems like she had more enemies than Cross suspected.

Flint slashed a clawed hand in Stuart's direction. The stout man raised his hands in front of him. "You know it kills me to say this to you but you're being unreasonable. Cross wants the human back. He's coming for her. Our watchers spotted them on the way. Greg sent a majority of the pack and all the enforcers to meet him and pacify him. This fight could mean lives, Flint. The human is not worth it."

Flint cursed. "You mean to say Casey isn't worth it."

Stuart didn't deny it and Flint cursed again.

"Greg is with the enforcers. I'm to bring the woman with me."

"I'm sorry, Stuart." Before Stuart could reply, Flint growled and pushed his fist forward. His fist caught Stuart in the chin, knocking him back, his head hitting against the cement wall.

"You killed him!" Rowena shrieked.

Flint turned back to her. "No, I stunned him. You? You, I'm going to kill." He pulled out a syringe from his back pocket and took a step closer to Rowena. "I bet you wish I could assure you this wasn't going to hurt."

"Don't do this," Rowena whispered, her eyes pleading him. "I swear I didn't hurt your sister."

"That's a lie," Flint hissed. "I heard all about how Reed wanted you, a human, over my sister. I don't care how good you smell, that should never have happened. That's another reason for you to die."

"That's not my fault," Rowena cried. "I'm a victim too. I had no idea Reed was cheating!"

"You're going to feel a lot of pain."

"Aren't you worried what your pack will do to you for killing me? Cross wants me alive!"

Flint shrugged. "They'll probably banish me but what do I care? My only family member is gone."

Rowena opened her mouth to speak but felt a prick of pain on her forearm. Flint lifted the syringe and gave her a deranged-looking smile. "I really must be going now before they realize Stuart isn't coming. Goodbye, witch."

"As if I wouldn't just escape if I really had magical powers," Rowena muttered. Beads of sweat popped on her forehead and her body began to shake. She was dying. There were so many things she hadn't done yet-like going to Disney World. She'd never ridden a roller coaster. She'd never eaten lobster. She wanted to try lobster before she died! Dark swirls clouded her vision and she screamed as a wave of pain swept over her, drowning her in a sea of darkness.