Chapter 22: He's My Soulmate

It had to be a new record—getting kidnapped three times in less than a month's time

It had to be a new record—getting kidnapped three times in less than a month's time. Rowena was handcuffed to a chair by her uninjured arm. The smell of sweaty gym shoes told her she was at Bodies by Bobby. Light from the nearby streetlights outside trickled in through the Venetian blinds of the side windows.

Rowena slowly shook her head and looked around. She was in a small office with the basics—a desk, two chairs, and a filing cabinet. A small indoor window overlooked Bobby's gym. She watched as Bobby Sullivan paced the floor in front of her, his phone clutched in his hand and to his ear. "Why aren't you picking up?" He cursed and kicked his desk, knocking over a pencil holder decorated with a zebra, two elephants, and a cartoon male dressed like he was going on a safari.

Motivational posters decorated the wall along with a neon yellow clock. A purple and pink lava lamp was in the corner of the room. It looked like Bobby just bought random furniture pieces at various garage sales and decorated his office. Or maybe people presented him with decor? Either way-- nothing matched.

"How did you know about the races?" Rowena groaned. Her pain pills were clearly not working to dull the ache in her shoulder. "Did you kill Casey?"

Bobby stepped toward her. "I already told you. I didn't kill Casey."

"It's kind of hard to trust what you say since you literally abducted me and have me handcuffed to a chair."

"Believe what you want. It doesn't really matter," Bobby said, shrugging. "Once Flint finally answers his phone, I'll turn you over to him, and he will get me back into the Nightshade pack."

"W-what? You took me to give me to Flint? He wants me dead."

"You don't understand," Bobby muttered. "Being without my pack is torture. Wolves need to be with their packs. I'd do anything to get back into Nightshade. Anything."

"They kicked you out. Why would you want to rejoin them?" Rowena asked, her eyes wandering the room, looking for a possible escape plan.

"My father and brother were born in Nightshade. So was I. A few years ago, I was forced out and I thought I lost everything."

"Were you Casey's wolf? Were you King?"

He frowned. "What?"

"How else would you have gotten money to open this place?" She jerked her chin to point out the space around her. "I bet you and she betted together at the dog races to get money. Cross said if you had been in the Howler pack, he'd have exiled you for using your wolf that way."

"Are you crazy?" he asked. "I opened this with my inheritance. My mother didn't leave my brother and me much, but my father did. After the debacle with Casey and the alpha, Greg, kicking me out because he claimed I was weak, I decided to come to Clarkton and finally open my gym."

"If you're a successful gym owner, why are you wanting to harm me?"

"Because of Flint. He stopped by after Casey was murdered. We drank until we were drunk. He said he'd do anything to avenge her death. He even offered me a way back in. If I could get you for him, he'd convince Greg to let me back into the Nightshade pack."