Chapter 13: Time in the Clink

When given the choice between going to the hospital or going straight to jail-the correct answer is always the hospital

When given the choice between going to the hospital or going straight to jail-the correct answer is always the hospital. Always.

After being coldcocked by a delayed airbag, Rowena had two black eyes and a swollen nose. The EMT offered to take her to the hospital with a police escort, but she didn't have a concussion, so she opted to pass on the ambulance ride. Great health insurance was not a perk she received working at Sweeter Homes and she couldn't afford any unexpected medical bills.

"Don't worry, Rowena. I'll call Lorena and let her know you're here...again," Donnie, her cousin's ex-husband said. He wore a broad grin that irked Rowena.

"Don't you dare call my cousin," she hissed before purposely slowing her steps. "If my family finds out I was arrested again, they'll disown me."

To be honest, Rowena wasn't sure if that was a bad thing.

"They won't disown you," Donnie argued.

"I still don't understand why I'm the one being arrested. I didn't shoot anyone!"

"You had a vehicle in your possession that didn't belong to you and we haven't been able to get ahold of the owner. Don't worry. I'll call Lorena and maybe make a joke at your expense about how you're always getting arrested, and she'll come over to see you. She'll see me here. Then she'll realize she can't live without me and we'll get married again. We'll live happily ever after."

"Gee, I'm so glad me being falsely accused of a crime makes you so happy, Donnie. It's also nice to know you didn't lose your imagination in the divorce because there's no way Lorena will take you back. She's always talking about how divorcing you was the best decision she ever made. She even ordered a shirt on Etsy with a picture of the word divorce being defined in a dictionary as the best decision she ever made. She wears it on Sundays."

Donnie grinned. "She's just being ironic, Rowena."

"Do you even know what ironic means? Alanis Morrisette sings a song about it. You might want to watch her music video, Donnie."

"I know it's hard to believe but any chance to talk to your cousin makes me happy. I know she's going to give me another chance soon," Donnie said. He clearly didn't know about Lorena's voodoo doll. "I love her and love conquers all."

Rowena shook her head. "I don't know if I should feel sorry for you or envious that you're this naïve. We're talking about my cousin Lorena. I say this with all the love in my heart because she's the only relative I like but she's petty and vindictive."

Donnie nodded. "Yeah, I know. She's a stubborn woman. It's one of the many reasons I love her."

"Donnie, why did you cheat on Lorena if you claim to love her so much?"

Her question wiped the grin off his face. "I did not cheat on her. I don't know why she was so insistent that I did. I would never have cheated on Lorena. She's the love of my life. You'll know when you meet your soulmate, Rowena. You'd never cheat on them."