Chapter 4 Fox

I was fuming after my conversation with Alpha Torrin and learning how my mate had been treated. Torrin spoke about her like she was a piece of meat he and King Titan tossed around however they pleased. That stopped today.

Gamma Patrick led us to the guest wing where two rooms side by side had been arranged for our arrival. I would leave immediately for the realm of the fae in order to secure my mate's freedom, entrusting her care to Stone. Stone was chosen to be my Gamma specifically because of his ability to protect my future Luna. I trusted him as my sister and Beta's mate, I knew I could trust him with my own mate's safety.

I dismissed Gamma Patrick swiftly, ushering Stone and Marigold into my room so we could talk. Marigold shuffled to the corner of the room, pressing her back against the wall defensively and crossing her arms over her small frame. My inner wolf, Hunter, whimpered at her reaction. She has been through so much. I spoke to Stone first,

"I'm going to leave immediately to get this over with as quickly as possible."

"She'll be safe with me, Alpha, I can guarantee that." Stone replied, his voice stern. I could tell he was just as pissed off with Alpha Torrin and the treatment of his Luna as I was.

"I know, Stone, I trust you. When I leave, I'm going to mindlink Ferra so she knows to be on alert. If they give you any trouble here, call for a group of our warriors." I said.

"Yes, Alpha." Stone nodded.

"Give us a minute, Stone." I asked, my eyes lingering on Marigold. Stone bowed his head towards me and walked towards the door. He paused at Marigold and bowed to her as well. She stared at him in silence, blinking her expressionless green eyes. Stone frowned and left the room.

I clenched and unclenched my hands into fists at my side, trying to keep my instincts at bay. All I wanted to do was wrap my arms around my mate and shield her from the world, but I knew that I had to move slowly.

"Marigold...." I hummed her name, enjoying the feeling of it on my lips. Her dark eyelashes fluttered as she looked up at me with her wide eyes.

"I promise you your freedom." I told her, begging for her to trust me. She pressed her lips together, her face expressionless. I clenched my jaw,

"Can you speak?" I tried to ask softly, worried that Alpha Torrin was keeping her from speaking. If that were the case, I would rip his throat out and render him mute. She nodded her head and I relaxed slightly,

"Are you afraid of me?" I asked in a small voice, taking a breath of relief when she shook her head.

"You don't think your father will agree to your freedom?" She nodded.

"There's a reason Alpha Torrin wanted an alliance with my pack. I can be very persuasive. I promise you Marigold, I won't leave until I have your freedom." I ducked my head so I was eye level with her and forced her to look at me,

"Do you know the terms of the deal your father made with Alpha Torrin?" I asked. She nodded and finally spoke. Her voice sounded like a thousand windchimes singing,

"Alpha Torrin is an idiot." She answered bluntly. I smirked,

"I can see that."

"So is my father." She added,

"My father wants power and Alpha Torrin lacks any. Alpha Torrin thinks that my father is offering him the Fae's allegiance by promising me to him. In truth, my father just wants me controlled and Alpha Torrin content while also having werewolves on his side." She explained, looking at the ground the entire time.

"Well, I can promise your father an alliance with a much stronger pack." I said. This got my mate's attention, her head snapping up to look at my face.