Chapter 11 Fox

"You did what?!" Stone shouted at me from the lobby of our hotel.

"It needs to be her choice, Stone. I can't force her to stay." I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Well, sure, but did you have to help her run?"

"She's not running, she's not a convict. And yes, I did. She has no money and virtually no experience living in the real world. She needed help and it's my job to provide it." I said as I finished checking out of our hotel.

"You realize that this is going to put you in an insufferable mood for the foreseeable future." Stone grumbled, leading the way to our car.

"Yes." I answered plainly, sliding into the back of the town car.

"Can't wait." Stone mumbled under his breath.

He gave me the silent treatment during our entire flight home like a pissed off twelve year old. We landed late that night and were greeted by my sister, Ferra.

"Hi, baby." Stone cooed, pulling Ferra into his arms. I looked away from their affection. Usually it made me feel nauseated, but today it only made me feel envious.

"Okay, okay. I need a status report, Ferra." I grumbled. Stone glared at me and I rolled my eyes at him. He gave Ferra a kiss before she turned her attention to me.

"Everything's okay here, Alpha. Nice and quiet." She shrugged.

"No rogue attacks?" I asked.

"We had some nipping around the border but the patrol scared them off." She said.

"Well done. We can talk more tomorrow." I started walking towards the stairs.

"Wait! What happened in Ireland?" Ferra called out to me.

"Not now, Ferra." I snapped, not in the mood to replay the last 36 hours,

"Ask Stone." I added, giving Stone permission to fill in his mate. I climbed the stairs to the fourth floor, the Alpha and Luna quarters. Somehow, it felt even lonelier tonight than ever before.

I walked into my room and over to the large windows on the far wall. I stared up at the sky and wondered where my mate was sleeping tonight. Just as her face flashed in my mind, a blinding streak filled the sky and thunder shook the packhouse. The skies opened up and a pounding rain started assaulting the windows.

I squinted my eyes as I watched the rain fall and swore that I saw a shimmery green sheen over the rain. I had no proof and no idea about fae magic, but I was sure that this rain was coming from my mate. I couldn't help but take that as a sign that she was nearby and thinking about me, too.

The next day I tried to return to business as usual, but it wasn't going to be that easy.

"Ferra, just let it go." I groaned, dropping my head down on my office desk.

"She's your mate, Fox. You can't just let her go." Ferra argued.

"I have let her go because she's my mate. It won't be forever." I propped my head up on my hand to glare at my sister.

"I don't see this ending well." Ferra sighed. I leaned back in my chair,

"I don't have another choice," I frowned,

"Now, can we please just get back to work." Ferra nodded her head reluctantly and we went back to discussing the border patrols.

"The rogues are forming their own pack. The rumor is that they got the idea from a rogue attack in the North East." Ferra explained after we reorganized the border.

"What happened in the North East?" I asked.

"Word has it that a pack in Rhode Island was attacked by an organized group of rogues led by a witch." Ferra said.

"Well that's just great." I grumbled. The last thing I needed was for the ideology of the eastern state packs to infect my coast.

"I think we should send scouts out to figure out what's going on outside of the borders." Ferra suggested.

"I'll leave that to you, then." I nodded at my Beta.

"I'll take care of it." Ferra agreed and was off to form her scouting groups.

I sighed and opened up my computer. I resisted the urge to check the bank account I had set up for Marigold. Along with supplying her with cash in different currencies, I also gave her a credit card that was attached to my accounts. I had to make sure that she was provided for no matter how long she was gone. But, I promised myself that I wouldn't spy on her bank statements or on the records from her new phone.

I clicked through my work emails and responded to a few of my clients. My firm brokered art deals for private clients both nationally and internationally. I was an art major in college with a minor in history. My first year out of college I took an internship at an art gallery that specialized in historical pieces. I was hooked ever since.

As the CEO, I focused my attention on locating historic artwork for institutions and museums while leaving my private clients to my employees. However, some of my more prestigious customers preferred to work directly with me. Snobby rich assholes was probably a better term for it. Those were the emails I was responding to today.

Having finished my work from home, I was on my way out of the packhouse when I was ambushed by a very dangerous threat; my mother.

"Finn Lewis Oxford!" My mother was screaming at me before my father even had the car in park,

"What is the matter with you?" She pointed a manicured finger at my chest.

"You really did it this time, son." My father shook his head at me as he walked around the car.

"You spoke with Ferra." I sighed.

"The better question is, why did I have to hear it from her and not my own son?" She snapped.

"Because I was hoping to avoid this conversation." I replied honestly. My father snorted, earning a glare from his mate.

"I would really love to hear why you didn't bring your mate home with you." Mom asked, placing her hands firmly on her hips. I grumbled under my breath and leaned against the hood of my car, diving into the events of my trip to Ireland.

"Oh, honey." Mom's tone changed very quickly as I finished my story.

"I didn't know what else to do, Mom."

"You did right by your mate, son, I'm proud of you." My father gave me a pat on the back before entering the packhouse and leaving me alone with my mother.

"Your father's right, Fox. You acted selflessly and put your mate's needs above your own despite how difficult it was for you. I'm confident that the Moon Goddess will reunite her with you soon." Mom smiled sweetly and placed her cold hand on my cheek.

"Thanks, Mom." I smiled, giving her a brief hug,

"I have to go into the office for a meeting." I told her, hopping into my car and driving away.