Chapter 10 Marigold

Hours later, after night had fallen, I snuck out of my hotel room and crept down stairs to the lobby. I had no idea what I was going to do or where I was going to go, but I knew it was time for me to leave.

"Ms. Fae?" A voice startled me. I looked around the lobby and saw that the man behind the counter was staring at me.

"Me?" I asked, unsure.

"Are you Marigold Fae?" I stared at the man curiously. Fae's had no last names so I wasn't sure if someone created a fake one for me or if this mortal knew something.

"I guess." I approached the clerk's desk. He pulled out a large yellow envelope from behind the desk and held it out for me.

"Mr. Oxford left this here for you. He also had us arrange a car to take you wherever you need to go." The clerk explained. I hesitantly took the envelope from him and stared at it.

"He did?" I was shocked.

"Yes, ma'am. Mr. Oxford also said you may need some assistance booking a transportation ticket and to charge his credit card on file." The clerk said. I couldn't believe that Finn had done all of this for me. Moreso, I couldn't understand how he even knew I was going to run.

"A transportation ticket?"

"Yes, ma'am. For the train, bus, or a plane perhaps?" The clerk was looking at me with a slight expression of judgment or maybe it was pity.

"Maybe I could use some help." I sighed, I really wasn't prepared for my new found freedom.

"How will you be traveling?" The clerk turned on his computer and began typing on the keyboard. I stared at him blankly.

"Okay...where do you want to go?" He tried a different question.

"America." I answered with the only other place I really knew. The clerk nodded and started typing again.

"Then you will need to fly. Any particular state?" The clerk asked.

"I don't really know." The look on the clerk's face told me that he was beginning to think I was an idiot.

"Well, I've seen many travelers come through my lobby and many of them speak highly of California. Do you like the beach?" The clerk's voice was polite.

"I've never been to the beach. I think I'd like it." I answered thoughtfully.

"There's a flight leaving in a few hours."

"Book it." I instructed, feeling confident about my decision. The clerk hit a few buttons and then his printer began to make a noise. He handed over a piece of paper that had my plane ticket information.

"Do you have a suitcase?" The clerk asked, eyeing my trash bag. I shook my head.

"You can't get on a plane with a garbage bag. Here." The clerk disappeared into the room behind him and came back with a small duffle bag. I stuffed my garbage bag of clothes inside and zipped it closed.

"Thank you." I mumbled.

"Anything else I can help you with today, ma'am?"

"Just....please tell Mr. Oxford thank you for me." I answered.

"Of course, Ms. Fae. Your car is waiting for you just out that door. Show him the paper I gave you and he'll know where to drop you off." The clerk smiled and pointed towards the front door.

I did as I was told and let the black town car take me to the airport. The driver helped me use the self-service kiosk to print out my boarding ticket. I found my way through security and to my departure gate. Thankfully, the one thing I did have was a passport from my international travels between packs, so I was able to use that to load the plane.