Chapter 23 Fox

"You realize you've made a terrible mistake, right?" Stone said from across the room.

"Huh?" I wasn't listening to him.

"Sending Ferra away with your credit card." Stone explained.

"It's for Marigold." I answered, absentmindedly waving my hand.

I was focused on my computer, going over emails that Alpha August of Crescent Moon and Alpha Noah of Blood Moon sent me. After my phone call with Alpha August, he decided to loop Alpha Noah in on our conversation and the three of us were sharing what we knew.

"Dude." Stone signed, shaking his head.

"Go with them if you're that worried about it, then." I snapped.

"You did send guards along, right?" Stone asked, suddenly sounding concerned.

"Of course I did." I scoffed at him, looking up from the screen,

"Seriously man, if you want to go, go." Ferra only left a few minutes ago to find Marigold and I wasn't about to spend the rest of the day listening to Stone's whining,

"No, no, it's cool." He shrugged casually. I shook my head at him but went back to my emails.

"You are the Gamma, it is your job to watch out for the Luna, anyway." I added. I watched Stone out of the corner of my eye.

He looked around the room and I swear I could physically see the wheels turning in his head. Suddenly, he jumped up off the chair and bolted from my office.

"There ya go." I laughed to myself.

Stone has been more and more on edge the longer Marigold was around. His instincts as the Gamma were on full alert with a new Luna in the house. A few minutes later my phone was ringing.

"Hello? I answered.

"Alpha Finn, this is Alpha Noah with the Blood Moon pack." I perked up at the sound of a familiar name.

"Alpha Noah, thanks for giving me a call. Alpha August has told me a lot about you and I believe our fathers worked together in the past." I said.

"Yes, your reputation precedes you as well, Alpha. Perhaps we can save time and forget the formalities?" Alpha Noah suggested.

"You got it, Noah."

"August tells me that you're mated to a fae." Noah said.

"Yes, I am." I replied hesitantly, not completely comfortable with these two strangers talking about my mate behind my back.

"Last year I found out that my mate is a human," Noah admitted to my surprise,

"And August's mate is the wolfless daughter of an Alpha." Noah continued.

"Why are you telling me all this?" I asked.

"Because we have more in common than just the rogue attacks. August and I each have had several encounters with the Council regarding our mates." Noah explained.

"What does the Council have to do with mates?" I asked.

"By law, nothing. But, they seem to think that they get to have a say in who we're mated to if it affects the good of the pack. They believe that the outlaw of interspecies mingling should apply to mates in order to keep the werewolf bloodline pure." My fists immediately clenched up in anger at Noah's words. The idea that anyone would try to stand between the mate bond was inexcusable, let alone the Council.

"Nothing is more sacred than the mate bond. I can't believe that even the Council would be that stupid." I said.

It was true, the Council has become more active in pack dealings over the years, and most of the werewolf community disagrees with it. We believe that each pack has a right to handle their own affairs, with the Council only getting involved when our secret with the humans is threatened or a large-scale war is possible.