3

(Chapter 3)A lesson in Dragons

(Chapter 3)
A lesson in Dragons

~*~

Author POV

Jimin was the young age of 15 when he was first scouted. Every year, knights traveled around the country, looking for apprentices and squires. Jimin was strong, he worked with his father as a butcher, living the heavy racks of meat each day built muscle. Though he never was around for the slaughter of the animal, he couldn't stomach it.

The knights usually passed through the village, more as a customary thing than actually looking. The village was small, with few residents so there wasn't much of an option. What Jimin and most of the villagers didn't like is the law around the knights, the King gave them too much power. 

So if a knight chose you to become their apprentice, you must accept, regardless as to whether you want to or not. He left no choice to those chosen, only that they must leave their peaceful lives behind and serve under those who thought themselves superior. 

Jimin had been hauling meat across the market to the shop, the farmer had just brought the kills in and Jimin had to get it to his father's shop for the early morning rush. It was a good cut of meat that many people enjoyed. 

He had to dip to the side of the road several times due to oblivious knights who were travelling through the streets, horses racing and almost running people over in their paths. Jimin had been close to yelling out to one, when they almost knocked an elderly man over, Jimin had reached out to support him, eyes glaring daggers at the obnoxious knight.

The old man had thanked the kind boy, who had then continued on his way. He got to the butcher's shop without much more delay. But his shoulders ached from the weight of the kill, thankful to deposit it upon the counter in the back of the shop.

"Jimin see if you can get some of those knights into our shop, meat is good for a traveler" his father sent him out, though the thought of sucking up to the knights got on Jimin's nerves, he did as his father asked. They needed the money.

Jimin wasn't sure where his distinct dislike of knights came from, but it was intense and he found himself avoiding them as much as possible when they did travel through the village. Some unknown part of him couldn't help but grit his teeth, eyes ablaze with distrust and fury.

~*~

"Hey what about that one?" Jimin could hear the voices as they pointed to helpless villages, like they were at some auction. 

As much as Jimin wanted to yell back and scold their actions, he didn't want to draw their attention to himself.

But when the man dismissed the villager and his friend pointed out another, Jimin couldn't keep the anger from his eyes.