(Chapter 23)

Growth

'Normal' - Human tongue
'Dragonese' - Dragon tongue

~*~

Author POV

Jimin ruffled his hair, trying to get it into a semi neat style. Today was a big day. He was finally turning 18 and could take the trials required to become a dragon rider. 

He had grown much in the 2 and a bit years. Taehyung had grown significantly, finally gaining the height and strength of a full grown dragon. His fully shifted form had grown too, he was now easily bigger than most dragons in the pit.

Taehyung stood his tail swaying side to side gently as he walked till he encased Jimin in a back hug. Jimin was used to it, not even flinching at the pure body heat that radiated from the dragon. It was cool, the autumn months finally closing in towards the season of winter. In fact the heat was a welcomed addition, Jimin found himself leaning back into Taehyung's chest chasing the heat till it was completely flushed against his back.

"We will perform as we always have" Taehyung stated in confirmation of the thoughts that Jimin had within his mind but has not voice. The dragon knew him well enough that he could often figure out what was on the human's mind. 

Jimin felt like he didn't need to voice a response, merely making eye contact with Taehyung in the small mirror. 

~*~

They left the room together, Taehyung trailing behind Jimin as always, he liked to be able to scan all his surroundings and ensure he was always able to watch the human's back in case of an unexpected attack. 

"Big day" Cadel remarked more as a statement than anything.

"Yeah" Jimin took his seat at the table, Taehyung dropped down to sit on the floor by his side. He preferred it, the chairs weren't really designed for dragons and their tails, plus it is what he normally did at home in the colonies. 

There was a larger quantity of food on the table than normal, Jimin was quick to load a plate of meat for Taehyung, a stark change to when he used to sneak it to him when they first met. Or when Taehyung would steal the sausages of Cadel's plate.

"Eat well, you don't want to be hungry later" Cadel told him as he placed the final dish on the table, it contained some steamed vegetables within broth. Hearty and filling, but light on the stomach. Exactly what Jimin needed right now.

He ladled some into his bowl and chose some of the fresh bread to dip into the broth. Breakfast was a quiet affair after that, Cadel sensing that Jimin didn't want to talk, had too much on his mind. Worried about passing the test to become a dragon rider in training.