Chapter 2

Chapter 2

When Izzie was deep enough in the forest not to be noticed by the King’s guards she stopped and looked behind her at the receding village.

There was no sign of the man who had told her to go with him; she had barely noticed his wide jaw and thick dark hair before she clocked his sword and the rather chauvinistic way he had told her about the guard, as if she hadn’t heard them.

Of course she had them; because of them she had to hurry up her work on Marrok who she discovered had been the other man who abused her family.

If she had it her way he would have suffered a lot more before he died but she had no desire to be caught by the guard either; she was already wanted for murder.

But Izzie’s thoughts got distracted when a sudden blaze engulfed the village and smoke plumed into the sky.

Izzie heard the man’s footsteps in the trees above her before he jumped down behind her; her sword still in her hand she whirled around and pressed the tip against his throat.

“Ah, there you are,” the same man from the blacksmiths muttered, looking at her like she was annoying him.

“Why are you following me?” Izzie asked him, staring in his deep green eyes.

He was tall, a few inches taller than her five foot ten, with an excellent physique of broad shoulders and a wide jaw. She had no doubt that under his white shirt his arms and chest were riddled with muscles.

But brute strength did not win a battle and she had not yet found someone she couldn’t beat.

“We need you,” the man told her.

“I’m not interested,” Izzie stepped back and dropped her sword from his throat but she still held it close, “Leave me alone,”

“You haven’t heard what I was about to say yet!” the man called after as she took a step around him.

“I’m not interested,” Izzie repeated over her shoulder, not looking back at him.

“You will be,” the man snapped, “when you hear what I have to say,”

“Look,” Izzie turned sharply, ready to bear into him when she realised that he was closer than she had thought. How had she not heard him approach? Obviously, this man was more dangerous and skilled than she thought, “I don’t do groups. No matter what the bounty,”

“Not even a royal pardon?” He asked, raising an eyebrow and Izzie stopped in her tracks.

She could evade the royal guard for her entire life if she wished but it made it a lot easier if she didn’t have to look over her shoulder all the time.