Chapter 18

Chapter 18

It had been an entire day since Brandon had left Drystan and the others in the vacant rooms somewhere in the castle with the orders to ‘stay put’ and ‘keep quiet’.

The first was hard for Drystan to follow whilst the last was hard for all of them to follow.

Especially when Thomas was doing nothing but praying aloud in the corner as he rocked back and forth on his ankles.

“Oh please,” Iagan closed his eyes, his shoulders sagging, as he gripped his axe with a tight grip, “Let me kill someone,”

“You heard what Brandon said,” Drystan sighed, resting back against the wall with his eyes closed as he tried to think about what Izzie would be doing right now, “We stay put and wait for his call,”

“I don’t do well with waiting,” Dermot agreed as he played with one of his many daggers, flicking it between his fingers before he let it fly across the room, aiming for the wooden chair which occupied no less than five other daggers he had thrown previously.

“Well, what do you want to do!?” Drystan was exasperated; he wanted nothing more than to run out of this room and find Isadora but he knew he couldn’t, “Colt had control of the entire kingdom; what hope do we have without Brandon’s help?”

“What hope do you have with Brandon’s help?” Dawn chuckled from where she was tied to the chair that Dermot was currently using at target practice.

Facing the wall, Drystan couldn’t see her face but he knew she was smiling.

“Shut up!” Iagan and Jarred snapped together.

Jarred was slouched in the corner looking darker than usual with his hat tipped down over his face and Drystan could have sworn that he was sleeping if he hadn’t spoken.

“Colt just doesn’t have control of the entire kingdom,” Dawn spoke softly and low, “He has hundred of men at his disposal and almost all of them are in the castle,”

“Why, is Colt afraid of something?” Iagan chuckled, “Like me when I get my axe in his neck?” Iagan gazed lovingly at his axe, running his fingers over the sharp blade.

“Colt isn’t afraid of everyone and he’s loyal to his men,” Dawn snapped.

“Oh like you, you mean? He swapped you in for a better warrior the moment he met Isadora,” Jarred had a sly grin to his face as he saw how her face fell at the memory of that fact.

Drystan grinned at Jarred for his comment.

“Isadora is just a pawn,” Dawn sat up straight and faced the wall again, “she’s nothing to nobody.”

“She’s something to us,” Dermot growled as he threw another dagger into the back of her chair, aiming just below her shoulder blades.

Drystan noticed how she flinched.

“Despite the attitude,” Iagan raised an eyebrow in appreciation, “She’s one of us . . . whether she likes it or not.”

* * *

Izzie felt something cold on her lips when she opened her eyes to see the prince pouring water between her dry lips.

For a moment she simply let the cool liquid drizzle down her parched throat when she remembered what had happened and hit out him, forcing him away as she frantically searched for her weapons.