Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Dawn had all of them wrapped around her little finger.

Izzie casted them a glance of pure disgust; they were all perched on logs around a large fire that crackled and lit up their faces as she told them another one of her daring adventures in which she simply sat atop a hill and fired into a crowd.

Izzie suspected that she had never even been in the middle of a battle; had never had people dying beside her, never had fresh blood sprayed across her flawless skin as someone lost a head or even been in close combat.

Izzie just shook her head and went back to stoking her own fire, feeding it more logs, before she grew too curious and removed the army sigil, she had found on the man’s body, from her pocket.

The fire highlighted the patchwork and made shadows dance on the floor but she noticed none of it as she was transported back to her eight year old self.

She had found a body of the enemy and had been attracted to the pretty patch work on his shirt and removed it from his chest; it had been the beginning of her thieving days to get by and survive.

Later on she had realised that it was the army’s mark and she had found it with Marrok and the others she killed but why was it on a simple robber?

He could have been an old member of the army but then why would he keep the mark of an army that had been hunted down and banished?

Unless he was a current member and the army was back in business.

Izzie didn’t know what it meant but she had to figure it out or else this pestilence was going to be the last of their worries.

When she heard someone moving at the other fire she looked up whilst slipping the piece of cloth back into her pocket and went back to stoking the fire when she saw that it was the teenage girl she had saved from being raped.

“Hello,” The young girl stood in front of her, looking at the floor.

Izzie waved at the log across from her and the girl quickly sat down, hands in her lap and her head bowed to the floor. She had to be fifteen with bland brown hair that was tied back into a ponytail with plain features and a slim figure.

They were silent for a moment before Izzie turned to her, “Are you okay?” she leaned forward, to catch her eye.

The girl nodded her head, looking at her for only short glances before returning her gaze back to the floor.

“T-Th- Thank you,” the girl mumbled softly that Izzie thought she hadn’t heard her.

“You’re welcome,” Izzie nodded her head, “Here, do you want a go?” She held out the branch for her to take, “Simply poke at the fire, that’s all I do,” Izzie shrugged and she was happy when the girl smiled.