Chapter 26

Chapter 26

IZZIE!”

Izzie crashed to the ground as her legs buckled.

Someone was screaming her name but it sounded so far off that Izzie knew she would die before they reached her; she would die alone as she deserved.

But as she lay there, Izzie could simply do nothing but watch the sky as her blood stained the courtyard beneath her.

The dark clouds which had gathered and covered the sun were rolling back slowly, revealing a clear blue sky and bringing a smile to her face.

Izzie had to let it go; she had done what she had set out to do. She had avenged her family; maybe now they could rest in peace.

“IZZIE!” A voice was screaming again when Drystan crashed to the ground beside her, his hands hovering over her body before he gripped her by the shoulders and moved her head into his lap.

She winced at the pain but feeling his hands on her body was worth it.

“Drystan,” Izzie smiled softly up at him as she laid her eyes upon his angelic face, to think such a person could love her, “I did it,” she smiled.

“Yes,” Drystan smoothed her hair back from her face, his voice cracking as he took in how calm she was, “Yes, you did it, now don’t worry, we’re going to make you better . . . THOMAS!” Drystan shouted across the courtyard.

“Drystan, no,” Izzie shook her head but he wasn’t listening.

“THOMAS!” Drystan screamed when suddenly everyone was stood around her, blocking the sunlight that had been warming her body.

“Isadora!” Thomas gasped as he froze above her, his religious eyes taking in how injured she was. She saw the hopelessness in his eyes and it crushed her to think that she would never see them again

“Do something!” Drystan was shouting at them and Izzie gazed up at Drystan with regret, “Get your God to heal her!” Drystan was shouting at Thomas.

“It doesn’t work like that,” Thomas shook his head as he knelt beside her, examining her wound making Izzie wince in pain.

“Well, what bloody use is he then!?” Drystan growled at Thomas before he looked up at the sky, “DO YOU HEAR ME!?” Drystan cried, “YOU CAN’T TAKE HER! YOU CAN’T HAVE HER!”

She had been happy to die but now, seeing him here, pleading with God to save her, she wanted to live.

More than anything, she wanted to live just to be with him.

“Drystan,” Izzie swallowed as she tried to tell him before it was too late but an explosion of pain made her scream out as Thomas pressed against her wound.

Her fingers gripped Drystan’s as she tried to remain strong but she was growing weak and her vision was blurring at the edges.

The end was near, “I’m afraid,” Izzie whispered, closing her eyes as tears spilled out.

She had always been strong but right now as she was faced with the unknown darkness, she was afraid. She thought of Iagan and the rest of her family in the same darkness.

She wanted so hard to believe in an afterlife but she couldn’t.

“I know, I know,” Drystan muttered above her when she felt his lips against the thin skin of her forehead.

“Drystan,” Izzie cried as she looked up at him, her eyes darting down to his lips, “I- I-”

“I know,” Drystan interrupted her, “I love you too,” he cradled her head as he leaned forward and pressed his lips against hers.